The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest d0tb0y

Wierd acacia ID????

Guest d0tb0y

Hello people, this plant was grown from a seed that was in a pod that was in a bag of leaves collected from planthelper's obtusifolia (i think) ID from the very first EB meet at bot. gardens. I've sorta forgotten about it and left it in the corner, but this is definately the same plant. It doesn't look like an acacia anymore... Is this what it's meant to look like in its young stages, or anyone have a clue what the hell this is?

wtf001.jpg

wtf003.jpg

yep, remeber this meeting and you very well! :) n00dle, you are right it's not an obtusifolia,

don't know what it is...

looks like a weed (a real one :D ) to me.

i don't think this plant is of any ethnobotanic value, sorry mate.

but wait 4 other member's opinon,

it could be a :P dragibus curiosa :P !!!

Guest d0tb0y

okay fair nuff, this is -way- too hardy compared to any weed i've ever seen.

The scary thing is, this seed wasn't loose in the bag, this seed was in a -seedpod- that was attached to the obtusifolia material. there was even another seed in it but it didnt germinate. I remember physically cracking the pod open and scarifying the seed, as i assumed it was an obtusifolia seed, heh. And, there was a few more seedpods in there but i cant remember what happened to those.

looks like a Malus or Pyrus, especially with the leaf damage. but cracking the seed pod now that is one tough apple...did the seed pod look like the other A.obtusifolia pods, do u have a pic of the pod?

Guest d0tb0y

unfortunately no i dont, not anymore but i believe it was black. and it looked like an acacia pod, compared to the few that were podding in my garden at the time.

edit: the leaf serrations at this young stage make it look more like a malus over a pyrus spp, but, it came from within a pod. I know that. If pyrus/malus seed in a pod, then that is huge news to me, i always thought all thier seeds were found in the center of thier fruits, which is why i dont eat the center of thier fruits. :P

[ 13. October 2004, 00:23: Message edited by: d0tb0y/n00dle ]

i think i have seen this plant in the forrest,

i must have accidently picked this seed up aswell...

[ 13. October 2004, 07:55: Message edited by: planthelper ]

Im with dertwerver - malus over pyrus

you a sloppy eater eh

right you are guys!

what a funny story,

i thought it looks like a pear or apple tree seedling, but never made the conection with n00dles sloppy eating mannors, lol.

100 points go to dertwerver!!

Guest d0tb0y

I don't eat pears unless they are canned O_o

perhaps there was something in the shopping bag. I dont have the pod anymore unforunately, but it was black and hard. i think i had to almost cut/crush it open..

Heh, oh well. I will let it fruit and see what it is. :P

if its cold enough you may get fruit from it within the decade, but you may have to wait 2.

Apples, Pears, lychees and several others can take years and years to fruit from seed

but sometimes they dont

doesnt amtter if your planning to staty where you are, even if you arent, its a nice contribution to posterity

I hear applewood is a nice wood. seed grown apples would make bigger trees and if closeplanted might give better trunks too. what do you know about fruitwoods planthelper??

youd have better luck with fruit if it were fruit from 2 varieties suited to your climate ie local produce than if its a seed from tassie

The cold storage of apples can trigger germination but fruiting will depend on your climate

Guest d0tb0y

Eh. It's staying in the pot until i run out of pots and it makes room for a more worthy plant, hehe.

Still.... it is quite hard to mistake a pear seed for an Acacia obtusifolia seed :P thats if you know wwhat they look like.