The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sc001

Growing calea Zacatechini help??

hey all

i bought this plant when it was already established about a month ago and since it has shown good growth and i keep it indoor as it is winter here. but i have been seeing brown spots appear on edge of some leaves.

we have the reverse cycle air con on over night on about 23 degrees, to keep house warm, but it does make air very dry. i also have 2 lights a philips cool and warm wite light which i keep on for 12 hrs a day. I water the plants using water spray, and i water them 5 or so times a day where i spray the leaves and the soil so its damp.

This morning i woke up and saw the baby leaves all seemed moulded/sick just hanging loose, and this happened over night so i need to know what the problem is.

is it because the room door closed stopping air flow? too much water? not enough water?

nothing out of the ordinary has happened last night that hadnt happen before?

any ideas??

http://www.keepandshare.com/userpics/s/a/m/0/01/2012-07/sb/p7080029-63059288.jpg?ts=1341723131

http://www.keepandshare.com/userpics/s/a/m/0/01/2012-07/sb/p7080027-21981099.jpg?ts=1341723136

Man I reckon just keep it outside and plant in the ground. It's a hardy plant that once established you'll need to cut back regularly because it grows like crazy.

• Like 2

Don't spray the leaves or water too much - it's a plant accustomed to desert climates.

• Like 1

I feel obliged to help u, seeing as how we have the same initials & all...u know. It's like ur a brother or something.. :blink:

Can u get the plant a bit of sunshine maybe. I just took mine out of the hothouse cause they didn't seem to be liking the higher humidity. They're in the greenhouse for the time being & they only get a light spray in the morning & deep watering once every week or two, at the moment.

post-11175-0-36291100-1341731258_thumb.j

I'm hoping to bring them out into a, half day of full sun, in Spring. If she's doing ok, she should be developing some clumping. I'd be treating her to a bit of real light, just mild filtered, nothing too harsh... :wink:

This is the 1st time I've grown Calea, so my knowledge is very limited. I'm sure there's others out there who have had her company for a lot longer.

Good luck

spacey

post-11175-0-36291100-1341731258_thumb.jpg

post-11175-0-36291100-1341731258_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

It definitely loves the ground. I grew it in a pot for a year and it barely grew, put it in the ground and it turned into a massive bush in a year.

• Like 3

I feel obliged to help u, seeing as how we have the same initials & all...u know. It's like ur a brother or something.. :blink:

Can u get the plant a bit of sunshine maybe. I just took mine out of the hothouse cause they didn't seem to be liking the higher humidity. They're in the greenhouse for the time being & they only get a light spray in the morning & deep watering once every week or two, at the moment.

post-11175-0-36291100-1341731258_thumb.j

I'm hoping to bring them out into a, half day of full sun, in Spring. If she's doing ok, she should be developing some clumping. I'd be treating her to a bit of real light, just mild filtered, nothing too harsh... :wink:

This is the 1st time I've grown Calea, so my knowledge is very limited. I'm sure there's others out there who have had her company for a lot longer.

Good luck

spacey

yeh i would do the same if i saw your name lol

so based on what you said a humidity tent isnt a good idea then is it? because i saw some people keeping it in humidity tent.

but if the plant mainly leaves in dry enviroment then maybe i should take humidity tent off now. Also maybe i have been watering it too much which explains the brown spots on the edges of the plant???

• Like 1

Don't spray the leaves or water too much - it's a plant accustomed to desert climates.

didnt know that i thought it was a tropical plant, so ill definetly remove the humidity tent

It definitely loves the ground. I grew it in a pot for a year and it barely grew, put it in the ground and it turned into a massive bush in a year.

but its winter here thats why i kept it inside, because i thought it would be used warmer enviroment, i was planning to plant it outside in summer in few months

• Like 1

im getting abit confused, can someone confirm if i should remove the humidity tent or not in the house? as i said the air in the house can get very dry due to reverse cycle air con???

I'd take the tent off... :wink:

agree!

nice thread, good support, i can retire now?

thanks for everyones reply.

the plant seems wors today, after a month of no problems and i havent changed anything :blink:

im thinking about collecting the leaves thats there now before they go off

I dont have any experience with Calea, but from any plants perspective, I would also suggest putting it outside during the day, let it get a nice flush of water through the soil, and some real sun on the leaves.

Your light globes wont be enough to ward off fungii i cant imagine.

Watering 5 times a day seems very excessive, even in tiny amounts, the way you described it, it sounds like you are just keeping the plants moist (trying to recreate rainforest conditions) rather that actually watering it.

I also thought it was from more trpoical conditions rather than desert conditions, but if it is then atleast you know it will withstand SA's winter nights, or atleast should.

Edited by Yavimaya