The Corroboree
watertrade

Trichocereus

Question

I posted some of these cuttings for sale a few weeks ago. just wondering if anyone could take a guess at more info about them - originally from Cactus Country - Strathmerton.

2012-04-07121125.jpg

• Like 2

the Js are all from strathmerton - cactus country. named J1,2 and 3 By PD after the owner Jim. The owner had no idea other than 'hybrids'.

what do you think watertrade does your trich look like a possible J2 type?

what do you think watertrade does your trich look like a possible J2 type?

It does look like a J2 'type' but there are differences which may just be because of environment. I really don't know anymore - :wacko:

• Like 1

indeed it does, does anyone have an idea of what J2's background is as I have a few seedlings with J2 genetics. This thread may help abit for reference if nothing else.

http://www.shaman-au...=1

I think the best source available is the thread you linked unfortunately.

its the great unknown at least you can be certain it has come from Jim's stock.

I believe IB is on the money. Looks too much like j2 which, not surprisingly, has shown itself to be quiet variable in its growth habit, even cuttings grown as little as a couple of feet apart in one of my gardens look like completely different plants. That it comes from jims and the familiar (from my experience) characteristics dont leave much else imo. Jims collection is huge but there isnt a great deal of different tricho plants that are of a mature age or that he be willing to cut. You know the score WT, grow it out, take cuts, grow it some more etc etc etc :P

Jim and his bloody hybrids lol, "they are all san pedro, that one there, thats a hybrid, but they are all san pedro"

I would say, definately does not look like super pedro / lance / cordobensis / rob. The scop phenotype is characteristic in the tip/crown in those plants and I cannot see it in this plant discussed, plus spines are a bit longer, but the tip/crown is a tell-tell.

on a different side note, I would say that the 2nd pic from interbeing seems as if it has the PC pachanoi phenotype - at least it looks a bit like it.

So if you were to nail it, you might wanna see this as PC X unknown

in any case, in my eyes the original watertrade plant [1st pic] is different than either of interbeing pics

Yeah I tend to agree now, it seems obvious my sense of scale was way off Hemans legs should have sparked me to the fact that plant does not have enough girth to be a Super Pedro. Interesting PD says J2 is so variable because mine looks like 2 totaly different plants from the original growth & the growth since rooting up & looks somewhat different to all the pics in this thread :wacko:

"they are all san pedro, that one there, thats a hybrid, but they are all san pedro"

:)

"that ones the short spine hybrid, that ones the long spine hybrid"

Edited by shruman
  • Like 1