The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
amanito

Sniffing justicia? Also some thoughts on linden ...

I just saw this buzz powder on herbalistics. it's powdered kanna mixed with justicia. Why's that added? Is that for the taste?

I thought justicia might be activated through maoi in ayahuasca/changa (also just for taste), but .that this would only be a theory

So ... I went to wikipedia :Phttp://en.wikipedia....icia_pectoralis

And I read this:

Traditional uses

Across its range it is used in folk medicine as a relaxant and general tonic.[citation needed]

Extracts

Scientific study indicates that extracts of J. pectoralis as well as the isolated chemical constituents coumarin and umbelliferone possess anti-inflammatory and relaxant effects in animal models.[1][2]

Other uses

As regards other applications, it is noted for its pleasant smell and as a source of coumarin, which it produces in plenty, and which in combination with umbelliferone is responsible for many of its notable properties. It is also admixed to epená (Virola) snuff to make it smell more pleasant. In particular var. stenophylla might also be hallucinogenic in certain preparations; it is known to wajacas (shamans) of the Craós (Krahós, Krahô) tribe in Brazil, who know that variety as mashi-hiri and consider it a potent entheogen, not to be taken by the uninitiated.[2][3]

But the most interesting part was this:

Etymology

The name "tilo" could be by association with Tilia, the linden trees. These are entirely unrelated eudicots whose flowers have similar relaxant properties. The water-"willows" are not relatives of the true willows either; like the lindens, the latter belong to the rosid branch of the eudicots.

I read once in Rätsch' encyclopedia that there's a mexican linden called Tilia mexicana and probably in reality followed by var. ... well ... dunno. well that one should have good relaxing properties, diazepam alike and would differ from the European variety. I have searched for plant material, but haven't found so far.

PS: why does torsten have a bday on sab and not on FB?

Edited by amanito

Ah, shit, wtf, I forgot that justicia is also added to snuff in latin americ, k stupido. Well ... but anyway, I thought that has never been proven to work ...

coumarins are great for potentiation. I am mostly into them for the aroma and flavour [eg bison grass & tonka beans], but I am sure there is more to it.my