The Corroboree
Zen Peddler

uncomfortable place - cafe or bar?

Why is that some cafe and bars have a vibe that just makes you feel at ease and relaxed and others just dont??

there is a bar near my work that I just want to be a cool plae to go, and so do my firends, but i can tell we really hate it, and no matter how drunk we get it just doesnt improve...

• Like 1

or maybe its just the company - workmates... Mind you some of these dudes nearly turned me into an alco at one stage.

It's the company and the people at the bar I would say

• Like 1

Would agree with jwerta on point.

Definitely, but there is also a vibe about these places which impacts on the psyche of the "customer". Most Aussie bars I hate, I grew up in the smoky, dingy, carpeted pubs where I did most of my drinking in a warm, cozy space with all my friends; something I have never had satisfactorily repeated in Australia. Cafe's are even worse, exposed on all sides (usually) all chrome and white, noisy as hell - no soft furnishing to absorb the noise.

I miss my pommy pubs :( .

• Like 1

lighting makes a huge difference, assaults the subconscious

That kinda pup attracts people who are of that way inclined. I live in a working class burb and i have 4 pubs within easy walking distance. All are shit, not because of decorations or lighting, but the folks attending there, its the people who seem to set the vibe for me.

Theres also an awesome caffe nearby, but the coffe tastes "funky". I used to buy my coffee there when i worked next door, i was used to the coffee at the time, couldnt do it anymore. Lovely vietnamese couple that own it, they still know my name 4 years later.

Also, Whitewind during my short stay in London, the quality of pub i saw was beyond belief. Sad that those kind of venues are dieing in the UK

Edited by eatfoo

The music plays a big role for me most music in places like that is Shity pop and such witch just maes me feel uncomfortable

Definitely, but there is also a vibe about these places which impacts on the psyche of the "customer". Most Aussie bars I hate, I grew up in the smoky, dingy, carpeted pubs where I did most of my drinking in a warm, cozy space with all my friends; something I have never had satisfactorily repeated in Australia. Cafe's are even worse, exposed on all sides (usually) all chrome and white, noisy as hell - no soft furnishing to absorb the noise.

I miss my pommy pubs :( .

i feel for you there whitety but .....sydney sux in this respect.lol. oxford and the cross is all you here about in the mainstream.

melbz has heaps of dingy bars with live bands and craft beers on tap (for those that still think having an ale is NOTa crime. )brunswick/smith/high streets in their respective suburbs still have ambient atmosphere's on the right nite ZPB :) As for this particular Bar you speak of...well,.....it comes down to the owners what type of clientele they attract..the establishment always plays the cards you wannna see :wink: and you my friend sound kinda stuck out there in puffing billy land, i mean don't you know dave graney lives in olinda or some shit like that :P

noone turns another an alco! but sounds like bad company too yeah...

I used to hate cafe's and bars when younger, because I firmly believe they are worthless places. yes they're useful in countries where it rains all the time... but meeting people can take place is much better spots.

Well, such a place should serve beer and something to eat along, then I might like, sometimes, or else it's really fucked. And it has to be cheap too.

in general, cafes but especially bars vibrate a really fucked up atmosphere. Maybe it's because energy waves in bars especially is created by loosers and miserable people - at best...

• Like 1

in general, cafes but especially bars vibrate a really fucked up atmosphere. Maybe it's because energy waves in bars especially is created by loosers and miserable people - at best...
...touche

Totally miss the English pubs, Aussie bars are just too impersonal, usually w/no comfy seating or boothes; not all though.

Sure the crowd makes a big difference, but i think things like lighting, music, decor etc. all make a huge difference.

One of my favourite pubs in Finsbury Park was The Moon Under Water, not many Aussie bars have such nice names.

The pub had a no music at all policy so people could chat. It had big bookshelves lining all the walls filled w/books & board games, just having them there gave it a good vibe.

Edit--anywhere w/pokies is always a shithole. No exceptions.

Edited by nabraxas

Thanks for all the input - i think its a bit of all of the above.

In terms of vibe though I did like my uni bar a lot - it was awesome but primarily because it was full of happy uni students with interesting lives and experiences rather than miserable people.

hahah. That made me laugh. Where i live the cafes are all pretty cool and inviting - the pubs up my way are also very english and cosy with big open fire places, but one thing I used to had was trendy inner city cafes with deadshits all sitting there checking each other out and posing their new pretentious tattoos and baby prams...

I was wrongly overgeneralizing.

Some places are good and its a combo of everything: a nice place [sound, music, light, colours, decoration], the owner is a nice guy or your friend, the people that hang out are young in the heart and nice people [or friends and familiar persons]

I was just pointing out how I never considered going to a bar or cafe more than a stupid capitalist consumer practice.

I still believe that, I still feel that, going to bars and cafes to meet people and to "go out" is still stupid consumerism habit - especially in places with good weather...

• Like 1

My uni bar is pretty sucky. It's way too loud (cannot hold a proper conversation WHAT, WHAT DID YOU SAY? CAN YOU REPEAT THAT WORD!?), it's pretty expensive (not much cheaper than a standard bar), and the lighting sucks (I think most of it is orange). Ignoring all of that, it's just a bad layout, and everything is sticky.

If I ever open a bar, there will be multiple sections, and at least one section will be a lounge with muzak playing. I've always wanted to go to a place where I can just go to the chillout section and chill on a couch. I would pay more for such a place as well.