The Corroboree
Sir Jeans

Wedge grafted TBM

Thought I'd share this. A few months ago I attempted my first ever wedge graft. I did it because it seemed like the only way to graft a little piece of TBM and not have to remove its only areole, which was right at the bottom of the cutting. I had to redo the graft a few times, and the union didn't seem very good. Didn't really think it would do anything, and for a while, it didn't. But in only the last two weeks, look whats popped out:

post-10185-0-77905000-1333522560_thumb.j

Sure am I glad I saved that areole! In contrast, here's another, similar sized piece of TBM that was allowed to root out on its own. Its also popped out a new shoot in only the last couple of weeks, but look how tiny it is in comparison (the reason it is disfigured by the way is because a damned possum ate the top)

post-10185-0-31433200-1333522704_thumb.j

post-10185-0-77905000-1333522560_thumb.jpg

post-10185-0-31433200-1333522704_thumb.jpg

post-10185-0-77905000-1333522560_thumb.jpg

post-10185-0-31433200-1333522704_thumb.jpg

Cool looks good any pics of the mother plant?

Make sure you keep us updated... Oh and have you got any pics from a different angle

Don't have a picture of the mother plant because these were all small cuttings that someone sent me. I know its a bit hard to tell that it really is a wedge graft - It was much more obvious before the scion swelled up. I'll see what I can do about a few more pics tomorrow.

Oh yeah, that's sick man. I've done the same thing for my first graft but I also do not have high hopes. I skewered a little piece of TBM onto the top of a sharpened Pereskiopsis. Did it a bit deep though I think and now a sprout is starting to pop inside the bottom of the graft :( I'm not sure if it's taken, but the graft is much more stable to the touch than it was when I first did it about 2 weeks ago. No new growth but..

Oh yeah, that's sick man. I've done the same thing for my first graft but I also do not have high hopes. I skewered a little piece of TBM onto the top of a sharpened Pereskiopsis. Did it a bit deep though I think and now a sprout is starting to pop inside the bottom of the graft :( I'm not sure if it's taken, but the graft is much more stable to the touch than it was when I first did it about 2 weeks ago. No new growth but..

Has it fattened up at all though?

yeah mine did absolutely nothing for several months before it exploded into life again. As long as it isn't going rotten, there's still hope!

Look's like a nice graft :)

Hopefully it kick's ass!

RF