The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

The wrong way of doing the right thing.

Allegory:

One can treat the Microsoft Windows operating system as a black box. One can see the inputs and outputs to the system, but there is no way to be certain exactly what is going on inside the system.

If you install a program on the operating system, and wish to remove it, you can do this one of two ways.

One, go to the Program Files directory, and delete the folder containing the program, or two, go to the control panel and use the Add/Remove programs tool to delete the program.

If you do it the second way, the program is completely erased, and the operating system is no longer aware that the program is there.

If you do it the first way, the programs physial entity is removed, however, the concept of the program remains known to the operating system!

Thus one would say, the first way is the wrong way of doing the right thing.

Now let us apply this allegory to something unrelated.

Imagine, that physics, chemistry, biology and the countless other sciences are a mere subset of the true nature of things.

Imagine that all science is even less than this. It is merely a working solution to a much greater problem. What if, by accepting the results of science, we are ignoring some greater understanding or revelation that is the key to pure knowledge?

What if all of science is merely the wrong way of doing the right thing?

Have we gone too far? Have we overlooked some simple ideal, some simple answer? Or is man yet to evolve the ability to seek out and find this extraneous concept?

I know Occam's Razor. Fuck Occam, fuck his razor. Neither of them explains phi .

i don't know if this compliments what you're saying or not, but i thought it connected.

it's a quote i heard a long time ago & far far away

"all scientists are looking to climb to the top ov the mountain; when they get there, they'll find the mystics waiting for them"

I hate mystics, they drive me nuts.

The aim of the post was to try and get some people in this community questioning something a lot of us (especially me) base most of our thought process on.

Always question :)

I view science as more of an ideology or a process than what we see nowadays. In my opinion mystics use the scientific method just as much as scientists. They make observations about reality and then test that through meditation and various rituals.

Science as a process is the way. Science as a method to build a pyramid one grain of sand at a time is futile. Ie a lot of science involves putting two or more scientific findings together to increase the knowledge base. Scientists like Neils Bohr, Einstein and Newton, have made findings comparable to beliefs held by eastern mysticism.

reality is like a blob of playdough.

everyone forms it into the shape they think is fun to play with.

mystics make one shape, scientists make another shape. but they are all still the same blob of playdough.

its trips me out when i aknowledge my own playdough body and the funny playdough things i do.

its even trippier when you think that the playdough can know itself from the perspective of itself (even though they are playdough concepts).

reality is like a blob of playdough

heh heh---as in it smells 'good enough to eat', but the taste always leaves you disappointed? :D

sorry....

on second thoughts maybe its more like gak, its fun for about 5 minutes till it sticks to everything, then it dries out and the fun is gone.

Science is alot of fun as its not playdough but does allows one too create theorys and test.

Mysticism is more of a personel reproducible phenomenon.

Which can be hard to do.

Drugs is one way, but that is a matter of chemistry.

The other ways aren't as elusive as one might think, such as hunting the snark but does take a level of cynicism which can remove the crap from the truth.