The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Jonstn

Taliban vows revenge for shootings in Afghanistan

Of course :wacko:

THE Taliban has vowed revenge after at least one American soldier killed 16 civilians in southern Afghanistan and burned their bodies.

The attack yesterday fuelled anger still simmering after US troops burned Korans last month.

US-led forces in Afghanistan have stepped up security following the shootings in Kandahar province.

The US Embassy has warned American citizens in Afghanistan about the possibility of reprisals.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for several attacks last month that the group said were retaliation for the Americans burning Korans. Afghan forces also turned their guns on their supposed allies, killing six US troops as violent protests wracked the country.

The Taliban said on its website that "sick-minded American savages" committed the "blood-soaked and inhumane crime" in two villages in Panjwai district, a rural region outside Kandahar that is the cradle of the Taliban and where coalition forces have fought for control for years.

The militant group promised the families of the victims that it would take revenge "for every single martyr with the help of Allah".

The US has said the shootings in two villages were carried out by a single American soldier, who is now in custody.

But Afghans have expressed doubt that a single soldier could have carried out the shootings in houses more than two kilometres apart.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/world/taliban-vows-revenge-for-shootings/story-e6frfkyi-1226297529697#ixzz1oteQ0SO5

But Afghans have expressed doubt that a single soldier could have carried out the shootings in houses more than two kilometres apart.

hmmm. interesting.

i see now oz media is running a series of stories concerning gay teens in Iraq being killed. even though i've no doubt it's true, i have to question the need to run a story like this, which is at least several years old, right on the back of very serious crimes committed by US troops. propaganda for the masses to stir up popular support for continued occupation in the middle east (in iraq particularly, but then by extension afghanistan)? i knew there would have to be some counter story demonising the locals over there in order to keep popular sentiment "on track". hearts and minds, hearts and minds......