The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Shroomeup

After Nymphaea caerulea

I'd love to get hold some of these for my ponds.

Anyone have have any seeds or rhizomes they could spare?

Is it even here in Aus? Ive never seen one tbh

If someone can help me out ive got other ethnos to trade or can do money as well .

Cheers,

Shroom

i would not bother to grow them from seed, it would take a long time....

schroomup, if you have never seen the blue lilly in nature, or in a park, than i assume you never go out,

this plant grows everywhere!

sorry, if that comes across as tough, but this is the truth.

melbourne, is aswell the home of the biggest seller of those plants in oz.

anyway, it's true that, they don't get traded a lot, because they are tricky to ship, however, if you are patient, i'm sure somebody here will help you out, because as said, in many places in oz, they can be found in the thousands. all you need to do, is to ask the farmer or landholder for permission to pick a few.

if they are found on crownland (say a small/big waterway) than picking a few, would be ok, i guess.

yep, i just talked with the queen, over the phone, she said it's ok! :)

Haha yeah I get out plenty thanks. I actually have some blue lotus ive been growing for years and see lillies all over the place

Its seems however that the true Nymphaea caerulea is quite elusive. I actually live around the corner from these amazing gardens http://www.bluelotusfarm.com.au/16x9/16x9homepage/16x9home.html and have been there several times. Even they dont have them.

The owner says he's been after the true item for years and said he'd be VERY interested if I ever came across some.

I understand that most lotus flowers contain similar psycho active alkaliods but the real Nymphaea caerulea seems to be quite a rarity.

ok, now it makes sence, you are chasing the white elephant.

you seem to know a lot about it, so how does the "true blue" lilly differantiate from what most of us call the caerulea (the blue one endemic in oz)?

raetsch say's the same as you, but most people in oz, claim our so common blue lilly is identical with the blue rare lilly of the nile.

isn't it funny how we humans, always want everything that is rare, sounds like tulip mania all over again.

The Nile one is N. caerulea. The common one in Oz is N. caerulea ssp. zanzibarensis. IOW, not much different. Going after N. caerulea does sound a bit like tulip mania. :D