The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ramon

non existence of self

yes, my personality is a fusion of the past and the present; the present containing within it anticipation of the future, and the future influenced by the memories of the past. At no point do I need to further postulate a "now" in order to make sense of anything further.

You might object that therefore at any one time we need a condition of personalities passing through successive "nows" in order to identify its continuity. Hume disagreed with this notion (initially Kant's transcendental unity of apperception) by postulating a "bundle theory" of mind.

I think you CAN and MAY postulate a NOW, and a trancendental unity of apperception, but bear in mind your increased ontological commitment to a dualism. Maybe what we have here is a principle of metaphysical complementarity.

quote:

Maybe what we have here is a principle of metaphysical complementarity

i think i understand that, but could you elucidate further please Thelema?

Originally posted by Thelema:

[QB] yes, my personality is a fusion of the past and the present; the present containing within it anticipation of the future, and the future influenced by the memories of the past.

That is just it; that is what your personality is something that is not real through sheer lack of it's presence. YOU are always present, the past and future create an "Image" of who you think that you are. As to the metaphysical complementarity situation, I take that as being the seen and the un-seen. Thelma you seem well read, what books have you been reading?

what HAVENT i been reading? None of my current course materials, thats for sure.

Too busy trying to prepare an honours proposal for a philosophy thesis!