The Corroboree
Chef

Raspberries...

Hey guy's, wasent quiet sure where to post this so here it is..

I've had a rapberry bush growing for ages now and the tops of the leaves are starting to turn a maroon/redish colour..? But underneath remains the regular green colour? It dosent seem to be affecting the growth and I've looked all over the internet and cant find any sort of disease or fungal infection that would be the cause of this.

I have no idea what species of raspberry it is as it was un labeled when I bought it.

If anyone here has experience with raspberries your help would be apreciated.

Thanks.

Chef

Raspberry

Raspberry

Finally figured out the uploader lol
This is what they look like..
Genetics?

Cheers, Chef

hmm im have no idea about raspberry's but I would say its just because its getting lots of sun and the chlorophyll is leaving it or whatever and it turns red when that happens just like in cacti...? I really have no idea this is just a guess id wait till someone who knows what there talking about to answer before you take my answer as the truth lol :blush:

I thought the same thing (as in cacti/sunburn)

Just have to wait, cheers tho!

Chef

the pic's are not 100% conclusive.

some raspberries have redish new leaves when they grow activly, but yours looks rather like, autom collores, brought on, by a lack of nutrients.

you said you had it for a while, and this supports the last theory.

even if you fertilize them now, the cannes might still go dormant.

rasberrries are heavy feeders, to grow them in a small pot like yours is almost impossible, even if you would fertilize regularly.

plant the bush out, or give it a super big pot, and fert!

• Like 1

Cheers planthelper, i dont know why i didnt think of that, it does make sense after all :blush:

I've got a Silvanberry and Loganberry which are doing the same, they are the same age and are in the same pots so maybe its time for a bunnings trip to get some huge pots..

Thanks again guys!

Chef

I had a rasberry vine for ages in a pot and it always looked brown and sickly, so when it died to ground level, I burried the roots in my garden and watered and fertilized the crap out of it. And now it's big healthy and often has copious amounts of rasberries on it. Never knew why until now, thanks planthelper!

Edited by gunfighter

Time to stick it in the ground i think, its starting to happen to my silvanberry and some of my other hybrid berries..

I guess that i just use miracle grow or something like that..

Chef

Edited by Chef_