The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Palma

I am in the Canarian islands

Hello guys!

I did not find any place to introduce oneself, so I tell you there that I am a woman in my late forties living in La Palma in a big garden and orchard, and trying to live from plants I can grow here, and also medicinal plants.

I would like to gather as many plants as possible, and try what can be adapted, especially what can grow with little rain. I water my garden, I even have avocados, but it is better to plan any possible shortage from the pipes...

I am fond of permaculture (but not of names, so I just say that I cultivate and grow!) and I am blessed with a very varied environment, from the shady bottom of a little valley to some rocky and sunny slopes, and even a cliff.

Any help for edibles is welcome!

And any inquiry for my local plants is also welcome. The Canarian endemics are many.

Irie Palma,

Greetings & welcome, from the other side of the pond!

Most of these guys are down-under, but there are still a lot of international traders here too.

It would be cool to see a list of what you have & want!!

Have you ever tried growing cacti? Since you seem to be in a xerophytic zone.....

Respect,

Z

Welcome Palma,

I'm sure you find lots of helpful information here and lots of helpful people too.

I also look forward to hearing about your local plants. :)

Irie,

I see you have Pistachio or Pistache and Mastic Shrubs there.

I would definitely be up for a trade for some viables!

Respect,

Z

Hola

I can tell you a little more about what can be found here....

I will have to look for seeds, so I will do this by local trade whenever possible, and also by harvesting myself when I find the plants.

The island is small, but plants are very local, so I might not have them around my place.

I suppose I can send only seeds...

Yes we have some pistacia : atlantica and lentiscus.

Another mastic shrub is euphorbia balsamifera.

It can be chewed and reinforce gums.

I was also used to stop leeks between wood planks (wine barrels).

I have this plant a few hundred meters from my place.

It is specific of very dry places and low altitude.

Maytenus canariensis, called peralilla, small pear, after the shape of the fruit.

Tthe leaves can me masticated as coca leaves, not to feel hunger or fatigue. It can only be used as fresh leaves. It is medicinal, for rheumatism, and also scientifically investigated for cancer.

Its zone is USDA 11, and it needs some water but not so much, and semi shade area. It will grow 5m.

I can find it here only in the North of the island, so not far from me, because it has disappeared from many places, as it grew in the best zones for agriculture.

It has been flowering yet and I can get seeds around March.

I can very easily get drago seeds, as I have the tree myself.

This can grow in containers, so is known as an ornamental.

Fruits are edible (but the tree must be over 10 years...), and it is a medicinal plant (dragon's blood).

And it is beautiful and very special.

I would be curious of seeds of some Australian varieties from a dry zone...

Any edible or medicinal is great for me:

- if they can grow in a dry sunny rocky area,

- or also under the trees of my orchard, so I can also find room for plants and bushes that grow in shade and with some water, as long as they can stand dry air and winter rain (but my minimals are over 9°C/48°F) .

Gracias!

Edited by Palma