The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
cactuscarl

trichocereus ssp ?

Question

Hi all i just received some unexpected seed from a very generous member. I'm trying to find out what sp. they are and Google keeps telling me different things. I think i may have it right but I'm not sure please correct me if I'm wrong

I have

T huarazensis = bridgesii

T puquiensis = Peru

T ayacucho = Peru

T puquio = Peru

6 answers to this question

i believe those 4 to each be a peruviana/pachanoi type originaly collected from each corresponding area in peru (huaraz, pucusana, ayacucho and puquio respectively). T huarazensis is also known as "T pachanoi" variety 'tom juul's giant' (i put pachanoi in quotation marks because it is likely not correct, it seems many respected cacti collectors believe it to be its own species and many others believe it to be an old wild collected hybrid, but i don't think any one knows for sure).

Thanks for clearing that up and that's awesome to hear i can't wait to put some of these crosses down now :)

Hi all i just received some unexpected seed from a very generous member. I'm trying to find out what sp. they are and Google keeps telling me different things. I think i may have it right but I'm not sure please correct me if I'm wrong

I have

T huarazensis = bridgesii

T puquiensis = Peru

T ayacucho = Peru

T puquio = Peru

Well the only one with any sort of valid mention in the literature is T. puquiensis, a plant with some affinity to T. cuzcoensis. The others appear to simply be not particularly distinct T. pachanoi collected from Huaraz, Ayacucho, and Puquio. Also, there doesn't seem to be any support for T. huarazensis being the same as the T. pachanoi clone known as the Juul's Giant. K.Trout has reported finding plants matching the Juul's Giant in Lima, but I don't consider the Juul's anything other than just another T. pachanoi.

~Michael~

• Like 1

you are a wealth of knowledge M S Smith, i'm very glad that if i am to be corrected it is by correct information that i can well learn from. what i said about tom juul's giant was just what i had gathered from around the place over the years, there is a lot of mis-information about pertaining to trichocereus cacti unfortunately.

Hi ms smith thanks for the help.

So your saying they are all pachanoi ? I thought Peru's and pach weren't collected from the same area

you are a wealth of knowledge M S Smith, i'm very glad that if i am to be corrected it is by correct information that i can well learn from. what i said about tom juul's giant was just what i had gathered from around the place over the years, there is a lot of mis-information about pertaining to trichocereus cacti unfortunately.

Believe me, I have been wrong before and probably enjoy largely accurate information as much as you. Thanks! :)

Hi ms smith thanks for the help.

So your saying they are all pachanoi ? I thought Peru's and pach weren't collected from the same area

Well I've encountered the three as T. pachanoi...but who knows, yours could simply be from the same location, but of another distinct line. Only one way to find out what they'll look like.

Regarding the T. pachanoi and T. peruvianus question...

T. peruvianus has a more limited natural range while T. pachanoi appears to have no natural range at all, but grows pretty much wherever man lives.

~Michael~