The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
captaincactuscakes

Opuntia Subulata Monstrose graft attempt

I just grafted a Koehresii to this unique Opuntia. I'm hoping some of the characteristics of the stock may somehow translate over. Is this possible?

there is no migration of characteristics either up or down but in rare cases a chimera is born which is a combination of both stock and scion. a new form begins to grow usually from around the graft join. Google image cactus chimera some of them are way cool looking.

I have recently been reading posts on a couple of different cacti forums about the use of this stock

I will try and dig up the posts that reported the scions showing the monstrous traits

Cheers

Got

I have recently been reading posts on a couple of different cacti forums about the use of this stock

I will try and dig up the posts that reported the scions showing the monstrous traits

Cheers

Got

I'm sure you mean this thread.

http://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9172

I'm wondering if this is just what pereskiopsis does when grafted. I guess the only way to tell would be to graft pereskiopsis onto a non monstrose stock.

Seems kind of backwards to graft pereskiopsis but hey why not? From what I've gathered it seems that most scion will not pick up the characteristic but it could make a good stock nonetheless.