The Corroboree
Stillman

LED lights for indoor cacti grafting etc

I am trying out some growlush red and blue LED lights for my peres grafts and bits and peices has anyone much experience with LED?

http://www.growlush.com/GROWLUSH%20LED%20INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

I'm in QLD so I like the fact they don't put out any heat and they apparently are excellent for all growth?

Im going to be trying something simular very soon, keen to see some advice :P

Also i have found a cheap seller of that exact light if your planning on getting more ;)

Edited by eatfoo

I got a mix of blue and white Xmas LED lights that I use in my seedling box along side a little fluro.

A few years ago I had success with using only the LED's on some seedlings.

Now all the seedlings in my box start leaning towards the blue/white LEDs instead of the fluro so they must be doing something lol going to be doing my first graph in a week hopefully and I was planning on keeping them in my seed box so I'll let you know how I go :)

keen on a cheap option Eatfoo, Once I set it up I will take some pics, I think it will be great for cacti. I got this through a friend but he got it through Ozponics on Ebay.

Hi Stillman, lamp no good. Seems it only has 13,8 Watt, what is almost nothing for a plant LED. All the cheap 30 buck LED´s are a bad investment because they are cheap in regards to quality too and dont last long. Because there is no cooling device in the panel, the LED´s will be overheated and burnt out in no time. After two years, you will only have like 7 watt left. Also, the 1Watt LED´s put out a light that is way inferior than an modern High Power LED Lamp. If you only want a light source for grafting, its fine. For everything else, it´s simply to weak. Dont get me wrong, you will get SOME growth with this lamp but its definately unusable for anything beside getting the seedlings a little bigger. I am a firm believer in doing things once and right so i think you should spend a little bit more money and buy a LED Lamp with 50-150 Watt. If you ask me, 90 Watt is the absolute Minimum for a good lamp. And make sure to get High Power LED´s.

It makes a difference like between day and night. :wink:

Edited by Evil Genius

I just lost my big post damn it, I hate it when that happens. Thanks for the advice EG I was worried because the Wattage wasn't there. They also say it works best at about 1 to 2 metres above plant?? That doesn't seem to make sense to me. Anyway I was gifted it so I will do some experiments if they are real crappy I will definately post up and tell everyone not to bother trying them out.

I just lost my big post damn it, I hate it when that happens.

lol, happens to me all the time. ;-)

They also say it works best at about 1 to 2 metres above plant??

Makes me question their competence. A lamp that weak needs to be directly over the plants if you want an effect. Thats the big Advantage of LED´s. Lamps dont produce heat and can therefore be brought very closely.

Anyway I was gifted it so I will do some experiments if they are real crappy I will definately post up and tell everyone not to bother trying them out.

Well in that case its alright. You know, its better than no lamp. I just dislike the marketing strategy of LED Shops that show pictures of the 15W Lamps in which they boosted up the brightness of the light with photoshop. You know, in reality the lamps are only like a fifth part as bright as shown in the marketing pictures. A lamp like this is alright to overwinter plants and as a grafting light but thats it. But the space they take in could be used a lot better by only spending a few bucks more. bye Eg

I new the distance thing was wrong.. So heres one last nooby question. I want to put my grafts in a fish tank with a glass lid. Someone told me that the led lights won't work as well if there is a glass lid between it and the plant is that true or a bunch of BS as well?

Well, my knowledge about lamps has limits but as far as i know, glass filters out UV rays. So i assume it´s true that the plants would probably grow less healthy if you put glass between them and the lamp. But i think that it would be worth a try for grafts. You know, they dont need a strong light and i think even the weakest bedroom lamp could potentially do the trick.

It could work to use this lamp successfully for your graftings but dont expect too much. Compared to cacti that were grown under a strong 150W Lamp, its like the difference between a tree and a flower. Good Luck and please post some results in the future. I like LED´s. bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

DSCF2003-2.jpg

DSCF2002-3.jpg

DSCF2006-2.jpg

Thats how I have it set up at present, Once I have a few days off I will set it up differently, I still have the 60 Watt CFL blasting away as now I am a bit Paranoid of what little out put these leds might have.

Mick

For that purpose, the setting is sufficient. Im sure it will work like this. You know, grafts of that size dont need a 150W Lamp. The other lamp is producing enough light and heat to make it better. Should even work through the glass.

Hi guys, a bit off topic but 2 years ago I did a closet grow of basil/parsley/chillies/tomatoes using x2 90watt LED's.

I did two grows in total, one using a 250w HPS and the other using 180w of LED lights. the harvest results are as follows

HPS yielded 2kg tom tom tomatoes, 900grams basil, 1kg parsley and 500grams of cayenne chillie.

LED yielded no tomatoes, 100grams basil, 300grams parsley and no chillies.

from memory i had my 80cmx80cm tent, but could have been a 1mx1m, ive had alot of these so Ive lost track. Either way you'd barely notice a change within tent size with HPS but thought id mention it because it could have highly influenced the LEDs effectiveness.

In my opinion the LED just didn't have ANY GUTS AT ALL! it barely got the chilli/toms into veging stage, they just sat around stalled with only a set of true leaves. I can rule out temps etc as this is all closely monitored and kept at 26'C electronically. All plants were from the same seedstock also.

I know my experiences aren't relating to cacti, but it defiantly correlates with what EG has to say. The LEDs were bought off ebay after suggesting they were awesome for fruit crops, and i can confirm they were both 90watt as my friend still has them in storage for me and i got him to check.

d00d

• Like 2

EG I certainly don't need any more heat or humidity its been about 28 degs and 80% humitity for the last week.. and only going to get hotter.

dood didi it say how many lumens it was supposed to put out? I have been doing some reading and most feed back is quite negative on the LED, which makes me worried but I think for my purposes I hope it has enough balls.

Hey d00d, thanks for posting the results! I always like to hear about actual first hand experiences. I know the 90W Lamp in Question and i definately agree the light they put out cant stand a comparation to a HPS Lamp. Its not only the amount of Watt they put out but the quality of the light itself. Only LED to put out a satisfying light for my taste is at least 3 Watt per LED High Power LED´s. You know, a 150 Watt LED Lamp and a 150 Watt Higher Power LED Lamp are two diffrent pair of shoes. High Power LED´s come close to the light of HPS. I used to use one in the past to overwinter my cacti but i stopped doing that because i needed to reduce energy costs. LED´s are a very promising thing but they need to become more effciently. Give them ten years and you can buy a good 300 Watt High Power Lamp for 100 Bucks. bye Eg