The Corroboree
Stillman

my first attempt at Pereskiopsis grafting

So I was fortunate enough to receive some peres cuttings from a forum member and have struck a a few and this morning I decided to have a go grafting. I am not confident enough to use any seedlings of value at this stage so I used some generic Lobivia and echinopsis pups. What amazed me was how well they stuck to the peres, was magic, I did a bit of reading and I think I have followed most advice to the letter, perhaps some of the scions are a bit too big but I figure I have to give it a go at some point so might as well be now...

heres some pics of the adult plants that the pups came off.

DSCF2007-1.jpg

DSCF2005-2.jpg

and the grafts I had a few plants with two new shoots each so I had a double graft of both, I think the Lobivia look a little better but time will tell I have put them in a fish tank inside with artificial light but the humidity is pretty evil here already so hopefully I won't see any scion shrinkage.

DSCF2003-1.jpgDSCF2004-2.jpg

I know the scion species is a bit common but both produce beautiful flowers and I think will produce offsets and look pretty cool if they take.

Looking good keep this updated id love to see how your peres handles 2 plants and if it growth is much slower with 2

One trick someone told me is to pull the bottom leaf off my peres and squeeze the sap onto the cut most teks don't say to do that but i think it helps a lot :)

The Lobivia failed (found them pushed off, perhaps the peres was too well watered?) but the Echinopsis is still hanging in there. I did a couple more too but will ahve to see. I figure if I keep doing a heap of grafts eventually the will start to taek as my odds get better hahahhah.

Perhaps you could try using a very small amount of weight to hold the scion on? I just did two pere grafts and that's exactly what I did - I just put a stack of books next to the pot, then used some sturdy cardboard (one side on the books, other side on the scion) and used a 20c piece to hold it down.

I know that other people don't use weight for pere grafts, but that just doesn't feel right to me!