The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Marcel

Mosaic virus?

Hiya people.

I've got two dozen potato plants going in my backyard. They've mostly been growing beautifully, but a few of them, all of the same variety, are getting spotty. From what I've seen on the internet, it looks a bit like Tobacco Mosaic Virus, which I understand can attack many different plants of the Solanaceae family (none of my eggplants/capsicums/tomatoes/Brugmansia/datura exhibit these symptoms). Only one of the affected plants has actually died so far. Do any of you know if this is the dreaded TMV?

Here are the photos:

001zll.jpg

002gca.jpg

003bni.jpg

004up.jpg

I've dug up most of the spotty plants and harvested the few potatoes that they have produced. If this is Mosaic Virus, are these safe to eat (the potatoes don't look unhealthy or weird in any way)?

Edited by Marcel

I dunno. Tomato spot virus looks quite different from what I've seen on the internet. There are no ring-like markings on any of my potatoes. Have you experience with this virus, Pennypacker?

Anyone else got any thoughts?

Yeah, lol, it's not TMV or TSWV, most probably blight. Try removing the heavily infected leaves and spray some fungicide, might save them.

Not TMV...ive got a nice infetion through my chillies atm....think it started with my nicotiana rustica or datrua strammonium

looks more like blight (one of the common leaf spots)

use tomato dust....good all rounder that contains copper and no hardcore nasties