The Corroboree
Stillman

How long before you can tell if a graft has taken?

I have been playing around with an Opuntia sp (unknown) as a stock for grafts, just using various pups I have, how long before you can tell if the grafts have taken? I went into it a bit blind but so far all four grafts seem to have taken, its been 3 weeks and nothing is looking worse for wear? I am curious to see if the graft will grow more rapidly as I have similar sized pups of each sp rooted in soil as a comparison.

Heres a couple pics from a week ago, like I said its a bit rough as it was a bit of a spur of the moment thing with alcohol involved lol, I am actually quite surprised its worked this long lol.

I think this is G denadatum

DSCF2175.jpg

and an unknown Lobivia sp/ hybrid?

DSCF2181.jpg

I used anoth Lobivia sp as well as an Echinopsis hybrid (some sort of barrel type) as the other two examples but I don't seem to have taken photos of them.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Do you think I should have shortened the stock a bit? for next time?

Stock leaghth doenst look bad, your stock is pretty interesting. Wouldnt mind some of that, given up on perez ... (also never grafted sober)

• Like 1

Haven't a clue but I'm monitoring this thread so I'll learn how long :wink:

7730_obamasoda_1.jpg

• Like 1

I'll keep you posted I also live close to a lot of wild prickly pear was thinking about trying some of that too, but its so nasty to handle.

after 5 day's you can say if it has taken, and i take the weights or bandages off after a week or less.

but you can only tell it's a good union, once you observe good virgor, with the scion.

if you graft and it's cold, you might not observe much growth till, it has warmed up again.

if you graft small seedlings you, can observe first how the white spikes get bigger, once you see that, you know you are a winner.

• Like 1

cool thanks for the info PH I have noticed two of the scions look like they have bonded well and the other two not so sure, will keep a photo log none the less.

thanks again

Mick

i just remebered something else aswell, if seedling grafting, sometimes the scion will shrivel a bit, but than with more given time, they still can come around.

now i have never observed delayed self degrafting (scion falls off after looking good for a while) with peres, but now that i graft larger specimens onto echinopsis, i have seen it often. some of this scion material, was though looking rather poorly, and some of it even suffered from tissue orange rot.

so sometimes, you can't be sure that a graft will be successfull longterm, even after 2 or 3 months. the good thing is though, that if the scion popps off, you can always re graft again.

general tip for grafting, have everything set up well, and work in a "meditative fashion".

i relax with a few beers, before doing any grafting, if i would have to do seedling grafting, in "stress mode", i'm sure, i would squash or bruise a seedling.

bug, inspecting graft, has it taken??

post-70-0-76791100-1319589590_thumb.jpg

K1CF4CE7DB_1000211bugongraft.JPG

K1CF4CE7DB_1000211bugongraft.JPG

Edited by planthelper
  • Like 2

Great attempts!

Does this stock grow fast?

just from curiosity has anyone seen one of these before?

2uh8r4h.jpg

would it be any good to use as grafting stock?

isn't the plant on right is a true succulent? If it is a cacti then I guess it could be used as stock.

Mutant the stock grows like lightening here.