The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
davidbowie

A quest into grafting.

I just retrieved some of my PC pach's that had been staying with a friend for the summer months. And well we had an accident getting out of the car...

I have this very etoilated branch that has an INSANE root system attached to it. I've decided that it's getting its own pot, getting chopped down to a few inches, and some lucky sucker is getting grafted to the top:

Rt7A2.jpg

This is what it looks like after trimmed up, I'm going to let it callous at this size:

wS8Y1.jpg

Before her wounds callous and I pot her up, I'd like to get your opinions on what I should do with such a star pupil (no pun intended).

Option A: Let it grow its own genetics and grow a fat log from where she's cut. It's a PC though :(

Option B: Graft this Bridgesii pup to the top of it:

vlSz3.jpg

Option C: Find a nice Astrophytum or Aztekium on eBay and try my luck with one of the slow growers.

Any input or ideas would be lovely guys! I caught the cactus bug and well, once these seedlings start growing up you'll be seeing alot more of me around here. You guys are great.

More babies!!!:

ZerLq.jpg

tKjWS.jpg

VuzUn.jpg

Family!:

WpTUh.jpg

Also! Quest #2

I'm thinking a couple of these branches are ripe for horizontal areole grafting for me seedlings. Anyone got any experience?

qcORa.jpg

Woah whats that weird monstrose looking thing in the white pot in the 'family' shot?

I would leave the bridgesii pup where he is, as it will look really cool with a big arm growing out the side,.

As for your possible grafting stock, remember that the fresher the growth is that you grafting on, the more likely it is to take, older woody cores are much more likely to dry and push your graftee up and off.

I would suggest buying some small cacti from a shop and trying a couple of grafts before splashing out on an aztekium!

I have never tried horizontal grafting - its seems tricky! but i would say your seedlings are too small at this stage to be grafting onto a trich, try get your hand on some pereskiopsis if possible :)

good luck, your off to a great start

Woah whats that weird monstrose looking thing in the white pot in the 'family' shot?

I have never tried horizontal grafting - its seems tricky! but i would say your seedlings are too small at this stage to be grafting onto a trich, try get your hand on some pereskiopsis if possible :)

good luck, your off to a great start

Thanks! The monstrose in the white pot is one I picked up from the local home improvement store. Cereus forbesii monstrose that is. That poor thing came in a 2" pot and was so rootbound that I'm not sure there was any dirt at all in the pot! I had him alongside a Pilocereus but just gave him his own pot today and gave him some food. He should take off nicely.

Also, I have a set of 15 pereskiopsis on the way from a reputable man in the states here. Peyotepink has sparked my interest into hydroponic peres with a trich on top. That's far down the road though. I dove in head first. I love these prickly fellers!

Edited by davidbowie