The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zen Peddler

Leccinum scabrum

Despite finding them I didn't eat them. My mate, who is better with culturing, took them. He then cooked and ate them and said they were delicious.

All of the cultures got bacterial contam! :(

So keep your eyes peeled for BRIGHT orange fungi in and around natives.

And here are some other sightings: http://mushroomobserver.org/16167?_js=on&_new=true

These were found out in Eastern Vic, very east.

• Like 1

Interesting. ive been told they taste pretty shite actually compared to their european relatives but taste is individual. ive had no luck finding these despite being given various locations by people who claim to be in the know. But Ill keep looking. But its nice to see someone have some success with these since they appear pretty sporadic.

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie

I went to pick up a ladder from a guy today and his neighbour's front yard has one old massive Silver Birch with about 40 massive Boletes under it! Im about 90% sure they are this mushroom although it was hard to see over the fence.

Im going over tomorrow to introduce myself, take some photos, have a good look and potentially to pick some of these. I guess ill just slice the excess and freeze them like Porcini??

I wouldn't recommend freezing, I think they are far better off slicing them and then drying them on a rack, or threading them, then hanging them up out of sunlight to dry.

The only issue is you've got to keep each slice apart, maybe thread on a slice, a bit of dried straight macaroni, a slice, macaroni etc etc.

40 massive boletes...what a find!