The Corroboree
Halcyon Daze

Opuntia is the bomb for grafting Trichos

Is it harder to align the rings on an Opuntia because it is not circular?

I actually did three grafts to this at the same time and they all took. The housemate's cat knocked one off in the first couple weeks.

I don't remenber much about it now but I don't think lining it up is very hard if you at least try. I cut the Opuntia 1-2 cm from the tip while it was in active growth the ring was still circular from what I do remember. Now would be a good time for me to do it to theat fresh pad in the photo.

So anyway I LOVE the graft but I'm starting to place more value on the actual Opuntia rootstock since so many people have limited success with Opuntias. Maybe I have a top clone and need to get it out there. It's certainly good enough to hold onto.

I think It will take a couple years but I'd like to eventually be able to share a few nice big fat pads around. It's not really safe enough in my care. My cacti collection seems to go months at a time unattended and I'm always horrified by the damage that occurs while I'm away.

Edited by Halcyon Daze

this thing's definitely getting bluer. Every time in see it in the late afternoon I have to get my camera out.

How do I know when to degraft anyway. I guess I'll wait for spring (september) at least .

post-8867-0-50907100-1334392148_thumb.jp

post-8867-0-87451400-1334392163_thumb.jp

post-8867-0-37591200-1334392174_thumb.jp

14 april a.JPG

14 april b.JPG

14 april c.JPG

14 april a.JPG

14 april b.JPG

14 april c.JPG

Far out brussel sprout, I seriously have to get my hand's on some grafting stock.. The growth rates astound me!

Kudo's sir!

RF

fantastic looking graft dude!

its size is pretty good to cut.

you could easily cut at the very bottom of the scion so that you get more pups of the same clone, your graft seems suitable for something like this

Thanks mutant, that's exactly what I'll do. A new pup or two would be great and may extend the overall life of the graft (I'm hoping).

Cheers!

I still have this opuntia growing. It's quite large now.