The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Evil Genius

Justicia SP. - Pics and Questions

Hi,

one of the reasons why i like the genus justicia that much, is because their flowers are really breathtaking.

This is a Justicia Secunda. I believe it´s from Africa but unfortunately i couldn´t find more informations concerning this species. Infos or Pics from other Justicia Sp´s would be very apreciated!

normal_HPIM3501aa.jpg

yeah i got a justicia carnea (pink flower) from bunnings. I believe it was used in ayahausca(spelling?) blends.

This is mine here

post-1334-1135660854_thumb.jpg

Penguin, we have a huge one of those in our garden, I always thought it might be good for something, the flowers just look so damn interesting.

Time to do some reading on Justicia sp. :wink:

Evil Genius, the flowers look gorgeous.

How large they are? The flowers of J. pectoralis are nice but almost too small to notice.

These are about 2 cm in size per flower. I really like this one as the flower is a stunner. I read i a book that it is used medicinally but i have no further Info. Cuttings are available inside Europe and the US and if someone would be willing to takeover the immense costs for shipping to Australia it´s no Problem for me to also send some cuttings to Australia. I try to source more Justicia Species as it is an very interesting genus. So Far i found about 7.

hmmm, I got my plant from bunnings :P Also I saw a few J. pectoralis there aswell :)

Leaves root very well. A very easy plant! Rühlemanns in germany has some variants of the stenophylla. I had one plant some years ago. A very attractive plant. Another internetshop has two other species of Justicia .Just search google for "flora-toskana" and justicia.

The medicinal reference for J. secunda is based around its antimicrobial activity. It isn't really even good at that I have been reading.

Probably not much hope of it being "active".

Reported to contain 4, 6-diphenyl-2-pyrimidinylamine (whatever that is).

http://journals.iucr.org/c/issues/2004/04/.../gd1292bdy.html

I think they bathe dogs with rashes in a brew of this stuff.

EDIT: I believe native location of this plant is Trinidad.

Edited by apothecary