The Corroboree

Hi guys,

I was out having a forage along the river banks this afternoon (the Murrumbidgee) and noticed some bushes coming through the grass producing pea sized and smooth black/purple berries. the vine/bush itself wasn't spikey at all and the fruits smell very sweet. There are no big seeds just purple pulp and tiny seeds inside. the leaves were similar to that of a wild blackberry bush, minus the nasty spikes (maybe these plants werent old enough to bear the barbs etc? they looked quite young and probably ended up there after our massive floods end of 2010)

i used to pick wild berries on our old family farm but I dont remember every finding and eating these smooth pea sized black/purple berries. Any assistance would be appreciated, I did take pictures but they turned out horrible as I only had my phone one me. I can go back over the weekend and take some good ones if need be!

Thanks guys - d00d

am not familiar with the plants up that way and without more information it's just guess work really...

ballpark...

Cayratia clematidea

http://plantnet.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/NSWfl.pl?page=nswfl&lvl=sp&name=Cayratia~clematidea

Cissus hypoglauca

http://plantnet.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/NSWfl.pl?page=nswfl&lvl=sp&name=Cissus~hypoglauca

looks to me like a member on the nightshade family!

blackberry leaves!?! lol :scratchhead:

yah sick solanum nigrum by the looks

Edited by gerbil

Could probably be glossy nightshade, it's all over the place at the moment. The small fruit can be eaten when black but is poisonous when still green.. but make sure its not Atropa belladonna though, wouldn't want to eat any of those berries.BANGHEAD2.gif

Edited by fydesvindico

ah thankyou very much for that fydesvindico, still after years of talking to someone about it as multi species or variants, never looked it up to figure out why there are a few types of those solanums around, that explains alot haha cheers :D