The Corroboree
Alice

Do I need a tetanus shot?

Hi all,

So I just managed to embed a drill bit into my ankle. Well, half a drill bit, it snapped off into my foot :lol:

Getting the little fucker out took a while, it was stuck in real good, ended up having to unscrew it out lol. Fun.

So anyway, it's been well over 10 years since I've had a tetanus shot, but I really can't be arsed spending my Saturday evening sitting at the after hours surgery waiting to get a shot. Do I really need one? The drill bit was very clean, hadn't even started drilling yet actually. No rust on it. So it's pretty unlikely to have tetanus spores on it right, since they are usually found in soil? And if I do need a shot, do you reckon it can wait until after the weekend, or does it need to be done straight away?

Many thanks amigos.

ended up having to unscrew it out lol. Fun.

lol

Hi Alice,

go to the doc/hospital.]

why risk it if you don't have to?

huggy eth

The sooner you get a shot the better, you should normally get a booster every 5 years just so this annoyance doesnt pop up again. The problem is that Clostridium tetani is also found in dust and manure so the drill bit could have been in contact with it even if it was brand new!

It wouldn't hurt to get the wound checked out either, if you hit a tendon or nerve you may not have noticed, there could be long term damage. Anyway, get the shot when it suits cause getting a shot late is better than not at all.

Opioids may help the pain :lol:

In saying that, only about 2-3% of people die from the infection in australia cause we have sweet healthcare that im proud to be a part of. Just stay on the lookout for involantary muscle movement, jaw clenching and rigidity.

Hope everything goes well :)

Tetnis = rust. No rust no issue normaly.

If your the cautious type. Get a shot

Thanks guys,

My better half ended up calling the after hours clinic and spoke with a nurse, she said I should be fine but to get a shot anyway as it's been over 10 years. Aparently I can have the injection anytime in the first 72 hours, which means I can go on Monday. Shweet.

Man I wish I took a photo, haha. Funny thing was I didn't feel a thing until I tried to pull it out. Nothing at all. Anyway, found a replacement bit so now the curtain rods are up and we can sleep in tomorrow morning in our nice dark room :)

thanks everyone

Exactly how did you manage to drill into your ankle?

I didn't drill into it. We moved our coffee table into our bedroom as something sturdy to stand on while I put up the curtain rods for our new curtains. My wife very kindly put the drill bit into the cordless drill for me and stood it at my feet on the table in readiness for the holes to be drilled for the brackets. During the umming and ahhing about exactly where to place the brackets, I stepped backwards, and kicked (or rather heeled) my ankle into the drill, snapping off the drill bit into my ankle and knocking the drill off the table. That's all. I can be a bit clumsy sometimes :blush:

Ouch, sounds bloody painful. Definitely not as bad as actual drilling into it, but still not great.

get the shot mate, I have first hand seen the side effects of full blown tetanus awful body contortions etc, bite the bullet its only a needle.