The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Alice

Can I import "pharmacy only" medice?

Hi all,

So I imagine not, but perhaps someone can confirm. Can I legally import Pharmacy Only medications without breaking any rules? Note that these are NOT prescription medicines, nor are they drugs you can buy at Woolies. Just trying to save some coin, you can get some real bargains even on US Ebay, assuming they're not counterfeit. Things like ethanolamine antihistamines.

I imagine I'm not allowed to because these compounds "must be dispensed by a pharmacist" and by getting them from US ebay or wherever overseas kind of by-passes that. But on the chance it's ok I though why not ask.

Please no comments about "I get shit through all the time no problems", I don't care. I am not one to take chances anymore. Needs to be legit or not at all.

Many thanks

I doubt thats leagle.

I dare say it falls within the 'Therapeutic Drug' category of a prohibited import. (http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4369.asp#e1076)

However . . . .

Under the Personal Importation Scheme you should be able to import a 3 month supply of a non prescription drug for personal use (http://www.tga.gov.au/consumers/personal-importation-scheme.htm)

Check if the substance is listed as authorization required through Dept of Health and Ageing (http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/list-of-drug-substances-requiring-import-and-or-export-authorisations)

You will need to read the info, fire the TGA an email if your not 100% sure, the only advice I can give is to ensure you have checked with TGA, Customs and AQIS before importing anything to make sure you have all your bases covered.

Edited by wazzad

as long as the medicine is not on the authorisation list, is non-prescription, and doesn't fall foul of the customs act you are fine. The latter can be a little unpredictable. eg, I tried to import some naltrexone last year and thought it might get seized because it is a prescription drug. It did get seized, but for a different reason: some obscure section in the customs act that prohibits the import of anything that claims to cure or alcoholism or alleviate hangovers. But for those obscure bits you just get a registered letter warning you not to do it again - which you really shouldn't cos the second time round they'll nail you. You can get lots of these letters without getting prosecuted, but make sure that each letter is for a different section of the law ;)

Great links Wazzad, that is exactly the info I was after, you're a champion.

Ok, thinking out loud here, so from what I can gather, what I want to import falls under schedule 3 (eg doxylamine succinate or diphenhydramine as the only active ingredient), otherwise if it was combine with say paracetamol or a decongestant (which I don't want) then it would be schedule 2. Now as I interpret it, for sale in australia schedule 3 drugs need to be supllied by an appropriate person with instructions either written or verbal and also have a sticker with the pharmacists (or other med, or vet etc) details on it.

It seems that I don't need this (?) if I import under the personal import scheme. As I read it, as long as I'm not bringing in schedule 4 or 8 substances, and as long as it's not a customs prohibited import (which these aren't), then I can import up to a 3 month supply (the amount which is determined by the dosage instructions on the pack) at a time, which can continue to occur as long as I don't bring in more than a 15 month suplly over a period of 12 months or less. And I don't need to ask anyone or get approval. Awesome. Seems too easy.

I better fire off a couple of emails just in case. At least I'll have it in writing then.

thanks! :)

Edited by Alice