The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
omsource

Looking for an awesome P. Ostreatus strain

My Oyster culture has grown some seriously malformed mushrooms, not sure if I've added to much bran or if the strain has a contamination, maybe it's starting to degenerate...

Anywho I'm after a vigorous P. Ostreatus strain and am happy to trade,

I've got a stack of edible cultures so maybe just post if your after something and

I'll see if I have it.

I'll post photos of the malformed mushies later today, maybe someone can ID the problem

OmSource

Edited by omsource

I have white oyster someone gave me as a supermarket clone. It fruits well with gray caps outdoors in my tent. Dunno about awesome, but you're welcome to a dish or a wedge if you want one.

that would be ace!

I've tried to upload some photos but my jpegs won't post?

Heres some pics...any ideas on the cause of the deformities would be greatly appreciated, the sub is sawdust, bran and gypsum, maybe too much bran?

post-7450-0-84935700-1308365964_thumb.jp

post-7450-0-62046600-1308366013_thumb.jp

post-7450-0-85278600-1308366026_thumb.jp

post-7450-0-84935700-1308365964_thumb.jpg

post-7450-0-62046600-1308366013_thumb.jpg

post-7450-0-85278600-1308366026_thumb.jpg

post-7450-0-84935700-1308365964_thumb.jpg

post-7450-0-62046600-1308366013_thumb.jpg

post-7450-0-85278600-1308366026_thumb.jpg

Edited by omsource

Not sure mate, i've only ever grown em on straw.

Shoot me your addy, i have some grain spawn in jars, i'll pack some in a small filter bag and send it to you, ready for G2G.

Edited by punkin

sweetness!

I'll pm ya now, and plate on the abalone ASAP.

Thanks punkin

Did they have access to light? My best oysters form pins in the bag, then I move them outside, cut open the bag and they form beautifully. The gnats go for the mycelium, and leave the shrooms alone...at least here in Canberra, IME.

Oysters in the dark go wonky...and high CO2 causes deformities. Leave some kings to fruit in the bag, and soon you'll get mushrooms pinning from the caps of others. I had some photos...too hard to find now.

Cut off the duds as soon as you realise they're duds-a new cluster will form quickly. And cook those duds up-maybe not saleable, but still edible.

Did they have access to light? My best oysters form pins in the bag, then I move them outside, cut open the bag and they form beautifully. The gnats go for the mycelium, and leave the shrooms alone...at least here in Canberra, IME.

I've put some 'spent' eryngii bags outside and the outdoor fruits look like they be awesome but the earwigs, millipedes and slugs have definitely beaten me to it. The fruit are a swiss cheese holy mess whenever I go and check on them. I'm not growing outdoors so I don't mind too much, it's just my waste. But it would be interesting to experiment and try and control these pests.

I can offer up a Grey Ostreatus strain. I am yet to fruit it, it's colonising quickly (even in the cold) and I got it from a commercial grower. It's more than likely a commercial strain but nothing is confirmed. Let me know if you are interested.

sweetness!

I'll pm ya now, and plate on the abalone ASAP.

Thanks punkin

Shipped today mate, about half a litre spawn jars worth. Should be ok. :wink: