The Corroboree
omsource

Authentic root beer

hey all,

I'm pretty keen to brew some authentic root beer, just polished off a batch of alcoholic ginger beer and it was inspiringly tasty!

After a bit of trolling around on the internet I've come to the understanding that sassafrass oil is used to brew root beer...

Is this true, and if so is it the oil legal in Oz?

I've been told it's scheduled as it's a carcinogen, but that doesn't make much sense, what isn't a carcinogen?

Any infos from those in the know is always appreciated!

OmSource

AFAIK it's illegal, and I remember reading about an Adelaide man being busted for buying oil off e-bay a couple of years ago. I'm sure I have seen an artificial sassafras flavouring, but can't find anything on the internet right now.

There are a couple of extracts available that I was looking at in the past, but never got around to making a batch.

Check out the links here, here & here

I don't think the oil is strictly used, but rather the sassafras root bark which will leech the oils/flavours out into the mix. You could try using leaves or extract from the leaves of a Piper spp. (auritum, subpeltatum) which have a similar scent and oil consituents, though I think piper oil doesn't contain the same eugenol content which may alter the flavour slightly. The oil content is low in Pipers and you might need to use a sizeable quantity of leaves depending on how much root beer you are interested in making. This is supposing that your main interest is creating a product that resembles root beer in its banned 'carcinogenic' (--only shown in rats, not in humans--) key ingredient. Sassafras oil itself would likely get you into hot water.