The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
shadowthecastle

Possible Variegated Loph Seedling?

Hi all,

I have been keeping my eye on this seedling now since last year when it sprouted and i have noticed that it has never changed its colour. All seedlings are getting exact same amount of light and have fluctuated but the fello in the right back corner is staying true.

Anyone with real Lophophora knowledge or experience with seedlings, i could really use your ideas? Do you think it may be variegated?

Thankyou smile.gif

post-7599-0-80617400-1307426562_thumb.jp

post-7599-0-80617400-1307426562_thumb.jpg

post-7599-0-80617400-1307426562_thumb.jpg

Hi There,

Difficult to be sure from your image but I do believe you have a variegated seedling there. Of course sometimes certain plants just dwarf (through genetics or disease) or they might come from a different variety if you have bought seeds. If it is variegated then often grafting is the safer choice, in fact I would recommend it. Remember variegated plants lack the ability to photosynthesise in the pigment free parts of the plant. Here's an image of a Variegated lophophora:

peyote-variegated.jpg

Regret I haven't any from when it was a seedling- i nearly lost this plant last winter- seems they are more susceptible to cold too!. Grafting is not difficult but you might want to try it on a different seedling first if you've not done it before.

Good Luck,

looks like you could be in luck!