The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
PD.

Columnar echinopsis???

Question

My mates mum has had this plant for some time but she wanted it removed so i got it. It has had me puzzled for some time as originally i thought it to be a small barrell shaped echinopsis of sorts but it kept getting taller and taller. It throws a fair amount of pups usually at the tip and is FAT as you can see by the regular sized pach cutting next to it in the picture.

I cannot recall what colour the flower is but from memory it is like most other echinopsis flowers in shape and size, ie, a skinny version of a tricho flower.... anyways, anyone got any ideas????

post-1464-0-42973300-1305515588_thumb.jp

post-1464-0-29445800-1305515591_thumb.jp

post-1464-0-25116600-1305515594_thumb.jp

post-1464-0-34062600-1305515597_thumb.jp

post-1464-0-79093700-1305515599_thumb.jp

btw, the lil pinkish bean looking things on some of the spines are just succulent leaves my mates kids stuck on it.

SAM_0359.JPG

SAM_0360.JPG

SAM_0361.JPG

SAM_0362.JPG

SAM_0363.JPG

SAM_0359.JPG

SAM_0360.JPG

SAM_0361.JPG

SAM_0362.JPG

SAM_0363.JPG

4 answers to this question

I think you're right it's an echinopsis. How tall is it? I have some closing in on a metre, but they look quite different.

the angle of the ribs makes me think it is Lobivia allied, maybe a Lobivia X ?(trichocereus)

Paradisia nursery's sold a lot of Trichocereus x Echinopsis seedlings in the late 80s early 90s. maybe that is one of the few that survived. dunno. just an idea.

fuckin' lovely plant!

Edited by prier

Hi PD, i wanted to answer to this thread back when you opened it but forgot to do so. Columnar growing Echinopsis hybrids are more common than you would think they are. They usually are Echinopsis x Trichocereus and the reverse as well as hybrids that also involve Helianthocereus. There is a multitude of columnar growing Echinopsis plants and all are diffrent. Bob Schick crossed some columnar growing Echinopsis plants and i have one pretty large motherplant that came from him. The Cultivar Yellow Californica is another one that grows columnar. Many of the crosses involve Trichocereus Schickendantzii, Trichocereus Candicans, Trichocereus Huascha, etc. Theres a worldwide scene that does nothing else than crossing Echinopsis and Trichocereus...you can imagine how many diffrent plants are out there and its nearly impossible to say which one it is once the label is lost. But its a very nice plant! bye Eg