The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
trucha

A couple of beautiful cacti at UC

Looks really nice. Looks a bit similar to some trichos.

Edited by PD.

Im sure most collectors would label them as Trichs. Really good to know and i think we should open a thread about Trichocereus lookalikes. I´ll probably start one that we can use as some kind of look-alike Archive later today. Trout, can you please post some other Pics of Trich-alike plants in the thread? That would be great. bye Eg

EG -- that sounds like an interesting idea. It may take me a couple of days or so to come back to this but images and/or a list of plants that look like trichs would be interesting. As would comparing that list to the molecular data that exists already?

Both of these are now regarded to be in Browningia due to their type of flower.

In Hunt's Lexicon there is a photo of an adult pilifera in the wild. It looks even more trichlike than that potted one at UC's arid house. No one would think it a trich if flowering though.

I'm not aware of any Browningia seeing analysis by anyone. I'd love to be corrected on that if wrong.

Edited by trucha

Yes. Those two are growing in pots inside of their arid house. They were out in the front room when I visited last but they do shuffle things around with what is in the closed room. If they are not in the front room you might try asking the gardener if he could show them to you. Most people there are really nice and helpful.

They do a lot of propagation there as well. It might be worth asking when these might be appearing in their plant sale room? I have a friend who got a really nice plant of their uyupampensis that way.

Edited by trucha