The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zen Peddler

Methaqualone

I watched a doco a while back where a police guy from the states claimed that they had totally stopped the manufacture of mandy overnight in the late 70s. So I was quit surprised to read an article the other day claiming that it is still the most available drug in South Africa.

So its still around?

Since at least 2001, it has been widely used in South Africa,[1] where it is commonly referred to as "smarties" or "geluk-tablette" (meaning happy tablets). Clandestinely produced methaqualone is still seized by government agencies and police forces around the world....

The drug was more tightly regulated in Britain under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 and in the U.S. from 1973. It was withdrawn from many developed markets in the early 1980s (in 1982 in the United States), being made a Schedule I drug in the U.S. in 1984.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methaqualone

So the cop was wrong to say they stopped the manufacture.

I was offered it as Mandrax back in 1980, didn't try it though. Never seen it since.

The drug was often used by people who went dancing at glam rock clubs in the early 1970s and at discos in the late 1970s; however, it was no easy task to learn how to dance on Quaaludes and balance oneself properly while wearing platform shoes.

LOL!

Ahh so this is quaaludes, of which Stephen King has written of multiple times. Has anyone tried it when it was legal and available? Sounds like really interesting effects. Pretty sure I wouldn't want to ever take a drug like this one sounds, from any clandestine lab.