The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
true ay

Canberra Sub. help.

i am new to the mushroom scene, and i have been trying to learn as much about Psilocybe subaeruginosa as i can. however i dont know what months or temperurature or whenever they start popping up, or what part of canberra i will find them. like whether i can look around at parks and woodchip area, or if i have to go up into the hills?

thanks if you can help me :)

Now Should be the time.

they should be around. from what i can remember from canberra, i'd be going up into the hills first. As it gets colder, later in the season, you should then be able to check out the parks.

as long as your getting nice consistently cold nights and your getting good dew in the morning or rain you should be good to go.

just remeber to take spare batteries for your camera. I always find myself running out.

Cheers, Obtuse.

Now Should be the time.

they should be around. from what i can remember from canberra, i'd be going up into the hills first. As it gets colder, later in the season, you should then be able to check out the parks.

as long as your getting nice consistently cold nights and your getting good dew in the morning or rain you should be good to go.

just remeber to take spare batteries for your camera. I always find myself running out.

Cheers, Obtuse.

thanks for speedy and helpful reply, and yeah i will take spare batteries so i can make sure to upload indification piccs :)

We would be very close here in the capital. Temp has dropped and the recent rain has helped. Ive seen some nice indicator species in some local chip beds pop up in the last couple of days. Going for a hike tomorrow so hopefully I'll get some nice photos. :shroomer:

i am new to the mushroom scene, and i have been trying to learn as much about Psilocybe subaeruginosa as i can. however i dont know what months or temperurature or whenever they start popping up, or what part of canberra i will find them. like whether i can look around at parks and woodchip area, or if i have to go up into the hills?

thanks if you can help me :)

Your lookin for pine plantations, woodchip beds in my opinion are for the more skilled who have been picking for a while, ive never personally found a solid spot where there is abundance in eucalyptus woodchip areas, even the garden beds in schools and hospitals that people talk about are difficult, the only place ive found a heap of mushies in uecy's is right next to a pine plantation! But maybe i need to get out more. Then again ive only been pickin for a couple years so what the hell do i know.

When your picking them, watch out for lookalikes, there are mushrooms that look very similar to the ones your after, and they can kill you. That being said, its hard to fuck up though, the look-a-likes, always break apart easy, i.e. the stem and cap of the mushie is weak, not like the subs, which are very tough and wont really break apart even if pulled out roughly.

You say your from Canberra, just from looking at google maps, id say go to the Kowen Pine Forest, dont go deep in the forest though, they tend to be everywhere along the roads in low-lying areas where a lot of rain can be collected and moisture is retained much better, you will find heaps, and make sure the temperature is not over 12-14 degrees at night otherwise your going out and lookin for nothin, ideal temperatues are about 2-10 degrees with a shitload of rain.

Once you found some, go to a nice national park where you wont be bothered for 4-6 hours, bring your microscope and observe through your third eye 6-8 fresh mushrooms!

Run along now!

thankyou heaps for the helpful replies!!

and i will definitely check out this pine plantation at kowen :)

also does it have to be a big plantation? or can it be just just by the creak where there is 20 pine trees and pine needles all over the floor sorta thing too?

dark brown spore print and bitter as

Can i just add please don't consume anything until you are 110 percent positive they are subs.

Take good photos and a spore print post them in the ID section. Do lots of research. Ask lots of questions. I remember my first few trips out looking. There are so many different fungi out there. But when you do find them they are so easy to spot over and over again.

I like to stick to the woodchip beds in parks and gardens. A great habitat.The amount of time i spent hiking through the bush when all i had to do was go down to my local park.:) In sydney I had a few patches which would fruit very often over and over again. I never had any luck in the bush. This was around the northern beaches to hornsby area. This is my first season here in canberra as i was too lazy last season and overdid it the couple before that. I just needed a break lol.

Anyway good luck and don't give up.

Goldfinger

thankyou heaps for the helpful replies!!

and i will definitely check out this pine plantation at kowen :)

also does it have to be a big plantation? or can it be just just by the creak where there is 20 pine trees and pine needles all over the floor sorta thing too?

they might be their in those 20 trees, and if they are their you will get a shitload, but it makes more sense to go where there are more trees dont you think, just incase that patch doesnt have any mycelium to fruit, i dont know exactly how it works but some patches of forest have nothing, some have soo many you could be stuck their pickin for hours in a little area thats 50 meters long. Just go out and check as many different spots as you can and you'll learn exactly what they like, how they like to grow and where to find them, my first year looking for them i could not find 1 single mushie, partly because no one gave me a detailed amount of information as im giving you, i.e. exactly where they are.

make sure that place your talkin about with 20 trees has a deep base of pine needles where it retains lots of moisture, otherwise its prob not a good spot.

also, bring a knife to cut the base of the shroom, i.e. dont take the bottom 1/4 of the mushie, thereby ripping it out of the ground, because you have a possibilty of disturbing the mycelium, and if you do that the mushie gods will stab ya.

well today i went for a little hunt, not in the hills or wherever, but just around my suburb, in parks, creeks, side alleys with nature strips etc..

found a few little brown mushrooms (inactive)

and what looked like young deathcap mushrooms D:

but no subaeruginosa

so maybe i should wait a couple days til it rains or gets colder :)