The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
snapdragon

Advice on transplanting a large San Pedro?

Hi,

I have a San Pedro that is about 4.5 feet tall with two stems in a rather small pot. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice about transplanting it? I realize I could trim it and make some cuttings but I would rather not because I quite like how it looks now...

Cheers.

you need to be able to handle it without hurting it or yourself,

you might lean it over carefully, perhaps onto some cardboard or a blanket that it won't snag badly

make it so that the pot is off the ground and the horizontal stock supports the weight

then ease the pot off, you may have to tap it to make it lose or even cut it away

then take your new pot with some of the planting media in it and put it by the base of the plant

then ease the plant into the pot and slowly make it upright,

you should now have your plant sitting on the mix in the new pot, and pointed up right

then you add more of your planting mix around the plant and firm it into place

you may have to provide some support for the column at first but you are pretty much done

that is how i do it

• Like 2

you need to be able to handle it without hurting it or yourself,

you might lean it over carefully, perhaps onto some cardboard or a blanket that it won't snag badly

make it so that the pot is off the ground and the horizontal stock supports the weight

then ease the pot off, you may have to tap it to make it lose or even cut it away

then take your new pot with some of the planting media in it and put it by the base of the plant

then ease the plant into the pot and slowly make it upright,

you should now have your plant sitting on the mix in the new pot, and pointed up right

then you add more of your planting mix around the plant and firm it into place

you may have to provide some support for the column at first but you are pretty much done

that is how i do it

i do exactly same but on real tall multiple trunks i wrap them together with clingwrap so they all move together when leaning over.

Archea's method or variances of are probably the only way , if you'vegot it in an eathenware or stone pot make sure you wear saftey glasses when smashing the old pot off the root ball ,got a nice eye injury once.

Some less spiny ones like PC and scop ,once youve got the pot off and the cactus is on its side you can simpy gently lift them up by hand supporting the top and bottom and place them into the new pot upright. Even without gloves.