The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
snapdragon

lophophora advice?

Hi,

I just got a new cactus in the mail and not realizing what it was, accidentally scratched it with scissors while opening the package. The cut is not deep, probably about 1mm deep and about 1cm long (on a cactus about 3 or 4cm wide). I was wondering whether there is anything I should do, eg put fungicide on it, or let the cut dry before planting it (it came bare-rooted)? Also can anyone recommend a good potting mix? I have normal succulent mix - is this appropriate?

Cheers.

Have a read up below some good info on caci there,lophs are pretty tough they will heal by them selfs with skin damage etc most of the time,the less use of fungicides etc the better, we all know the obivious reasons why insecticides and fungicides are bad...They can contain carcinogens and take out beneficials,the build up of resistance by the pathogen to the fungicide used etc!

http://www.kadasgarden.com/CLophophora.html

The scratch should heal up fine, just keep water/dirt away from it.

Thanks for the replies... Should I plant it or leave it out till the cut heals? It is bare-rooted at the moment so I'm not sure if I should leave it that way. However the cut is on the side so it is near the soil. The other option would be to sterilize the soil before planting it or put something in between that side of it and the soil.

If I was at all concerned, I'd dust the cut or scratch with powdered sulfur & be done with it.

If I didnt want any portion of the soil to come in contact with the wound area, I'd keep the soil level low and put in a top dressing of polished black rock.

IMO bare rooting a cactus plant is just about the worst thing you can do as far as stunting its growth. It should be potted up at your earliest opportunity.

Zelly hit the nail on the head...if you want to grow 'organic' produce for some reason....still plant it....but fill your pot up first....probe hole in anticipation of Mr Lophs tap root,light spray with water if the loph doesnt look healthy or appears wrinkled(the dirt not the loph of course :S), then lace with rocks,,,,so as you lower him down, his wound never contacts the soil or water. Avoid high humidity or dank conditions until wound has calloused (1 -2 week approx pending location)