The Corroboree
Eluna

Ahhh what is this on my cactus!?

Just noticed this on one of my lance' that i cut in half the other day..

What is it?

It looks like in the middle of each one is a tiny dot.. it could be possible that i rested it against another cactus and the spikes have caused infection?

What do i do about it?

Thanks!

IMG_0291.JPG

IMG_0292.JPG

Hi Eluna, those are bugs. Just scrape them off with a knive and your fine. But plants that have this kind of bug tend to have others too. Make sure the one who brought it in doesnt have root mealies too. by Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

hehe... i don't think its scale eg. just a fungal spot skin rot due to stress, they scab up and don't seem to spread far.

Respectfully disagree, Blowng. I´ve never seen a mold that can be scraped off like that. Also, if they were mold patches, they wouldnt all have the same dot in the middle.

A similar one like the bug in this pic. post-1140-0-39171400-1299259974_thumb.jp

post-1140-0-39171400-1299259974_thumb.jpg

post-1140-0-39171400-1299259974_thumb.jpg

Edited by Evil Genius

my opinion is the dot in the middle is from a spine of another cactus the black is just it bruising. they heal up fine but will leave a little scar.

although if it does spread it could be some kinda infection but i doubt it.

I'm quite sure those aren't insects, the edges of the marks seem to fuse seemlessly with the rest of the epidermis. I think it is just scarring, the cause of which is unknown.

Edited by tripsis

does look scale-ish, but to me leans more towards one of the black rots. Should heal up okay, but get that thing rooted as it's looking very dehydrated and stressed with the pup sucking it's stored energy.

Funny thing with some black rot spots over the years, well what i think have been black rot spots, was being able to pick them off like scale, some even had taproot like appendages, unless they were a different type of scale? but from their progression it seemed to start as a subcuticle blackening (sometimes firstly just a clearish blister), which upon partial drying could be dug/scratched off. They were observably different from the outer cuticle scale i've had.

I don't recommend digging out black rot spots, it was more a learning situation.

some even had taproot like appendages, unless they were a different type of scale?

yeah I noticed this on some where I investigated the black spots, I figured it was scarring around where a spine from another cactus had poked into it.. don't think it was another type of scale.

the edges of the marks seem to fuse seemlessly with the rest of the epidermis.

My thoughts exactly , even though the photo is slightly out of focus it still looks like they are part of the epidermis.

I have had this type of spotting after over fertilizing or after taking cuts .

Funny thing with some black rot spots over the years, well what i think have been black rot spots, was being able to pick them off like scale, some even had taproot like appendages

Spots like what you mention here Gerbs are caused by spines, especially if there is a lil "taproot". The taproot as you call it is where the spine has gone in and exited, it is then filled with moiture and then the "infection" as we call it. I see these no more than scabs like we would get on our body and the "infection" is just the plant filling in the gap (just like we heal often with pus etc) and healing, as pretty much every time this happens the scab heals and leaves behind a tiny scar. Nothing to worry about imo.

or

They are from a lil too much fert like blowng mentioned, either way, nothing to worry about. After a second look i noticed most of the lil black marks have a dot in the centre so ill go with spine damage, lock it in.... :P

Thanks guys, i've left them be and planted it so it will root in time for winter :)

Rather think its large-SCALE Conspiracy carried out by the scale queen and you all have been replaced by scale like insects who browse the internet for new victims. I figured you out, guys! :P

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 2

its the dreeded black rot and it sux!!! i brought 3 perfect nice blue torch tips from a good supplier and all three got this in the growing tips and are now nice blue stumps, and they were in a mean enclosure with a roof

you don't really catch 'black rot', it's usually there in advance

Update - this has cleared up into almost little white scars now like you see sometimes on ur cactus :-)

All good!