The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mysubtleascention

safe psychotria shipping question

Hey everybody,I'm looking for some info about safe psychotria leaf cuttings transcontinentall shipment..

I'll appreciate any help

:worship:

Edited by mysubtleascention
  • Like 1

subtle indeed :blink:

as far as i know, a psychotria leaf in vermiculite as you suggested, would definately be a good attempt.. especially if it's sort of half established.

just a guess, though.

live fish go well in the mail,(totally off the topic) i get imported bettas they fly from thailand to qld then get platinum aussie post delivery down to vic,(as im out of the fastway courier service)if a live fish can survive then a plant can,theres always customs issues, delays that can be over extended & unexpected,that can result in our little friend dying from lack of oxygen/rough handling,and my assumption is if a plant looks sick then customs will ditch it, my personal opinion of psychotria plants are there temperamental little buggers,ive managed to kill afew in victoria ,either to hot for em with a dry hot wind or the night temp drops to much for em, and they go sickly overnight,(ive had more survival success with my transit fishys)ive now resorted to keepin em inside under a blue/red LED which ive found looks after em well,i think you want a fairly strong HEALTHY established cutting to go the days in transit, as for some reason psychotria grows terribly slow for me and takes awhile to recover from any stress...this plant somewhat hates me or my climate!

Edited by applesnail

Irie,

Psychotria leaves, 5wks to Europe no problems.

Wrapped in damp kitchen towel!

D.C., You'd be lucky!? Ta even find it???

BTW STOP SHOUTING!!!!

Be a little more low key and lower case!

Respect,

Z

Irie,

IT'S SUMMER SOMEWHERE THERE.. B)

It's always summer here B)

I don't think air exchange is really an issue.

I've rooted leaves, wrapped in damp kitchen towel & zip-locked with out opening for 2-3mths.

I usually root in straight vermiculite dampened once then not opened again for 3-4mths.

They are pretty resilient leaves.

Respect

Z

:rolleyes:

I've deleted all the older posts at the thread..seemed proper..

Your first posts in this thread were negatized by someone most likely because you wrote everything in capital letters. On the internet, this usually means that you are shouting and most people dont like it. Im sure you would get more friendly answers without the caps lock. In case you dont know what caps lock is: post-1140-0-40665000-1298571524_thumb.jp

Its better if you use the AWESOME KEY only from time to time. Like when you write private messages to the mods. Thats makes it even more impressive. :wink:

post-1140-0-40665000-1298571524_thumb.jpg

post-1140-0-40665000-1298571524_thumb.jpg

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1

:wub::wub:

what about some experiences with winter temperatures..

should the transfer be postponed till spring time ..

or may be the cold is not an issue also..?

I dont think that the cold temperatures during the 7-14 days of the shipping hurt that much. I wouldnt suggest shipping them at minus 10-20 degree celsius though. But during the process of rooting, its important to keep em in a warm place. They dont take european winters very well if you keep em too wet. I sometimes lost halfrooted leaves during frost if i left them inside a ziplock bag in an unheated room. bye Eg

Irie,

I usually inflate the bag with a good deep breath.

I guess you'll get all the air exchange you want when you get curious & open the bag to check them out!

LIGHT! Yes! Sometimes they go in the grow room with 24/7 flo lights, otherwise kitchen counter with in direct light from window.

As I said "It's always summer here"! So can't speak to low temp issues!

Respect

Z

well,

after a few days of reflection :) , the conclusion is..

my way of choice to transfer psychotria leaf cuttings,

to or from the other side of the world.. would be:

zipped in a zip lock bag with some water and air,

/perhaps an extra protection of the zipped side ,

-like a sticky tape- is not a bad idea./

best put in a bubble wrapped postal envelope...

and better avoid the winter weather..

/the punctured zip lock bag,i tried- for the air exchange-

leaks unpleasantly../

so.. i guess this discussion is coming to an end ..

thanks everybody for the contribution..

and cheers!! B)

b.

Hi,

I know of a good method to ship live plants. Just wrap the roots in damp paper towels, and stick the whole plant with the damp paper towels in a clean zip-lock baggie, and there ya go, I'm pretty sure thats the tek I have had people send me in the past.

Bests,

Jamison