The Corroboree
quarterflesh

hybrid sida's

hey all first post so please be kind.

just wondering if its possible to cross sida rhombifolia with sida cordifolia? if its possible or if it has all ready been done what would it be called and does anyone think it would change the alkaloid content.

Im not planning on unleashing this , just got them in my garage under lights and was wondering what the outcome may be ;) they are the only 2 plants that i have of the same species. thanks for replying

good one,

post more info when u have it

i've got a few sida cord's going but no rhomb's.

interesting see. especially if you rub 'em together when they get mature:)

Hi dude, welcome to the forum.

I can't say for sure but I realy don't think that there would be any chance of viable crosses forming. I have S. rhombifoliagrowing and there are S.accuta and a nomber of others native ones around that look much more closely related to S. rhombifolia than S. cordifolia, which do not cross.

You will however get seeds eventhough you only have one of each because the plants do self polinate (my plants are all from one original). Might need to get them outside so insects can polinate them though.

Good luck. Happy ethno-gardening. :)

thanks for the info, no harm in dreaming of a new species though eh. cheers for your help

i got cordifolia and rhombifolia and another one (i guess citrifolia) in my vicinety and they don't seem to X breed.

i like the idea, and maybe with repeated efforts, one could overcome the obsticals of incompatilety, and i do hope, that word excists, and only my spelling is the issue, hehehe.

i speculate all sidas are of similar strengh, but if not, your idea has very good potential.

and even if you would create a super weed, you would probably become at least very famous, like lantana...