The Corroboree
hutch

Should the President of the USA have this power?

Should the President of the USA have this power?  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

FFS, not this again! :BANGHEAD2:

Introduced by Joseph Liebermann.

"I'm a zionist...you don't have to be a Jew to be a zionist!
:lol:
"

From memory, I remember there being 8 people with the power to do this and 3 of them need to consent to take "The" internet (controlled by ICANN/IANA) offline.

This is a gross use of power but that's what you get for putting all of your eggs in one basket and letting some idiot hold onto it for you. Thankfully this really shouldn't have need to ever happen. These money-grubbers at the top of the pile have a vested interest in us staying on their network.

The larger threat at present is the siezure of domains. Does an overseas website infringing upon USA laws/opinions/interests get pulled without due process? Yes. Here's a list of recently-siezed domains: Domains seized by "ICE"

No Warning, No Reqeusts, No Trial, No Notification.

Number 80 on the list is putting up a huge legal battle because that service was breaking no laws in any country.

adasdas

Edited by Teljkon

yeah but alot of those were siezed beacause of nock off goods from china. There are how ever a few that are of concerne not so much as the sizure went down but the legal presidence they set for them to be allowed to do this.

I know about the counterfeited stuff but that furthers the point and this scary precedent: to the USA (the government sitting atop the ICANN mainframe) due process is an option when it comes to their patrons' (benefactors') interests.

For anyone rightly-concerned and involved in this field: My plan is a "siezure list" where all members opt into an emergency e-post list in the event of domain siezure; an inconvenient though hole-proof counter-measure: "My domain's gone...shit! Oh wait... *one-click e-mail to every single user with the new domain name*".

The other obvious suggestion is registering multiple domains to access the same server in different jurisdictions as so far only the .com and .net TLDs have been siezed - try a nation other than the USA.

I was planning a distributed, non-centralised DNS with a council of authoritative peers able to adjudicate modifications as well as being cross-network unlike "The" internet; people could have their home wireless network relaying to connect with their neighbours' network ad infinitum... I stopped working on it a few months later when one of The Pirate Bay founders announced his project of the same principle - waiting with crossed fingers that it pans out. As long as we're on their network's backbones, we're at their mercy and only ever trying to encrypt/obfuscate what we're doing over it - not freedom.

What if china counterfeits the Internet mainframe hehe.

As Egypt goes offline US gets internet 'kill switch' bill ready

http://www.theage.co...0131-1aah3.html

How long before Senator Conroy tries this one on in Australia?......Who has the right to shut down the flow of information? At the very least, who has the right to censor our information.....getting dangerous I reckon.....

As Egypt goes offline US gets internet 'kill switch' bill ready

http://www.theage.co...0131-1aah3.html

How long before Senator Conroy tries this one on in Australia?......Who has the right to shut down the flow of information? At the very least, who has the right to censor our information.....getting dangerous I reckon.....

Whoever holds the keys has the right - I don't like it but that's how it goes. We're using their infrastructure. There's not a thing at all stopping us from running our own cables or doing this wirelessly. We can run our own "The Internet" with our own DNS then in the event of "The Internet ©" going offline, we're still somewhat connected.

we need something like this.

I'm up for it. Needs to work over multiple mediums as backups: over "the" internet (primrary method until they decide to take it away), wifi, other radio frequencies, direct phone calls...