The Corroboree
daemondamian

Trichocereus bridgesii x peruvianus

Hi folks,

I just acquired a 29inch/74cm tip cutting of Trichocereus bridgesii x peruvianus and would like to confirm the ID of it.

Unfortunately I don't have my good digital camera at the moment. I have an nano ipod which doesn't take photos but does have a movie camera, so I used that and took stills off the movie, but there pretty low quality: http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b253/daemondamian/Miscellaneous/

I did fine one photo of a supposed Trichocereus bridgesii x peruvianus:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/Trichocereus%20bridgesii%20x%20peruvianus/teotz/pics119.jpg

The photo I found looks similar especially to this one http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b253/daemondamian/Miscellaneous/?action=view&current=cac10.jpg if you put them side by side but I can't really if it's exactly the same.

Damian.

I think I used to have the clone you have above years ago, It was traded to me as pachanoi x bridge though.

T bridgesii SS02 x T peruvianus SS01

ss02 x ss01

Edited by toby

I think I used to have the clone you have above years ago, It was traded to me as pachanoi x bridge though.

T bridgesii SS02 x T peruvianus SS01

ss02 x ss01

Thanks for the info Toby. Your photo looks very similar. I can't tell how many spines it has.

I've checked and mine has 8 spikes per areole two of which in the are much bigger than the other spines. Also it has 8 ribs.

This page http://www.lycaeum.org/leda/docs/16087.shtml?ID=16087 details the differences between several species.

Trichocereus peruvianus has 6-8 ribs and Six to 8 radial spines to .4" (1cm.), usually 1 center spine to 1.6" (4cm.).

Trichocereus bridgesii has 4-8 ribs and 2-6 spines.

Trichocereus pachanoi has [4-]6-8 ribs and 3-7 spines.

Oh yeah the other thing was that this cactus was also sold as "san pedro"

Anyway I'll add some better photos to this thread when I get my digital camera back.

daemondamian: you're going to find that trichocereus taxonomy is a very difficult subject. There are no set in stone rules based on appearance. Any particular plant can vary ridiculously based on the environment it's grown in. Take this one for example:

IMG_6298.jpg?t=1289593112

_MG_7471.jpg?t=1289593269

Same plant, different environment.

The only true way to tell what the plant is is by checking it's genetics, which most don't have the tools to do. So we make do with a combination of labelling plants with the names the came with, or if we're quite certain (ie have another one identical) we give them that label.

daemondamian: you're going to find that trichocereus taxonomy is a very difficult subject. There are no set in stone rules based on appearance. Any particular plant can vary ridiculously based on the environment it's grown in. Take this one for example:

IMG_6298.jpg?t=1289593112

_MG_7471.jpg?t=1289593269

Same plant, different environment.

The only true way to tell what the plant is is by checking it's genetics, which most don't have the tools to do. So we make do with a combination of labelling plants with the names the came with, or if we're quite certain (ie have another one identical) we give them that label.

Thank you Bit for the info. and photos. They do look quite different. I haven't yet taken any photos of the cutting I received which I made a tip cutting off that has grown perhaps 5-10cm since my original posting many months ago. Possibly due to cooler and wetter conditions in Victoria it is looking plumper and greener like the second photo whereas the cutting resembled the condition of the plant in the first photo.