The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Salviarin/Splendidin molecule images

Does anyone have molecule images for the above chemicals found in Salvia splendens?

All that google returns is hundreds of links to that one paper that says some dude (Daniel Siebert I think) found Salviarin and Splendidin in Salvia Splendens.

[ 06. March 2005, 10:43: Message edited by: apothecary ]

apothecary:

All that google returns is hundreds of links to that one paper that says some dude (Daniel Siebert I think) found Salviarin and Splendidin in Salvia Splendens.

Don't make the same mistake as me and confuse Salviarin with Salvinorin i'll try to find some images for you.

Nope sorry couldn't find any pictures online.

[ 06. March 2005, 14:42: Message edited by: bloodbob ]

I haven't I'm 100% aware they are two different things from different plants.

What I'm specifically looking for is a salviarin or splendidin molecule image. I have one for salvinorin A and B, but those aren't my concern right now.

I've seen that one, it's everywhere, and has NO salviarin or splendidin images.

apothecary:

I've seen that one, it's everywhere, and has NO salviarin or splendidin images.     :(  

[inapproiate langauge by bloodbob] you can't draw a tiny little bit yourself it tells you what to replace the Rs with.

[ 06. March 2005, 15:20: Message edited by: bloodbob ]

Can you elaborate?

Which is which, and how do you know? Neither is labelled and I thought the entire paper was about salvinorin...

apothecary:

Can you elaborate?

Which is which, and how do you know? Neither is labelled and I thought the entire paper was about salvinorin...

Except for differences in the substituents and the stereochemistry at C-8 and C-12, salvinorin (1) is structurally similar to salviarin (2)3 and splendidin (3),8 compounds which were recently isolated from S. splendens by Hanson and his collaborators.

salviarin.png

Salviarin

splendidin.PNG

Splendidin

[ 06. March 2005, 15:18: Message edited by: bloodbob ]

You'll have to forgive me, I'm not a chemist.

The reason I want to see the molecule images is that I'm wondering if it's possible to convert salviarin or splendidin to salvinorin A (if such a thing were legal)?

[ 06. March 2005, 15:22: Message edited by: apothecary ]

No it would be rather very very very difficult to do that its probably easier just to synthesis it from scratch.

quote:

Except for differences in the substituents and the stereochemistry at C-8 and C-12, salvinorin (1) is structurally similar to salviarin (2)3 and splendidin (3),8 compounds which were recently isolated from S. splendens by Hanson and his collaborators.

It because of the stereo chemistry involved NOW that doesn't mean the stereo chemistry actually matters.

You might be able to get an active compound from salviarin if you can add the CH3COO- group at carbon 2( between 1 and 3 ) on figure one.

You might be able to do that by oxidising the double bond at carbons 2,3 giving you two -OH groups then condensing a water out which will hopefully give you a 50/50 mix a OH group at either carbon 2 or carbon 3. Then you would isolate the compound with a OH group at carbon 2 and basicly add acetic acid.

Dunno if it would work in practice but its an idea.

If that didn't work you could look at hyrdolysising the splendidin oxidising the two OH from the hydrolysis to ketones and then doing the previous mention work up I suggested. If none of the compounds are pyscoactive then I'd suggest its probably not gonna be worth the effort.

There are problems with that hydrolysis as you don't want to break the cylic esters.

The real question is how many kilos do you need to harvest to get a worth wild amount of these compounds?

[ 06. March 2005, 15:49: Message edited by: bloodbob ]

Well salvia splendens is pretty damn common, I reckon I could pick about a kilo worth just walking down the main road my house is just off :P