The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
taozen

Kanna Dying?

Well, my kannas where all healthy before I left for almost three months to waste my time in Argentina. They where taken care of by my sister. I left written instructions to water once the soil got completly dry. I came back and they all had pretty dry leaves. This one has gotten worse and I don't know what to do. Half the people say it's over-watered, half it's underwatred. WTF?! I changed the soil. And the soil it was in probably had a bit of drainage problems. I used some finely ground perlite, industry grade being very ignorant about soil in general back then. I also compacted the soil thinking it was the best thing to do. I decided to change soil and when I took it out the size of the root surprised me. It was tiny and had very thin hair like roots barely taking up space on the soil. The new soil its in is a loose mix of cactus soil with added sand with some tiny rocks on the bottom. I misted a bit of water afraid of watering. Im guessing I should also change soil on the rest (5) but what your take on this one? Kanna Experts' advice greatly apreciated!!!

This is how it looked before I left.

IMG_7133.jpg

This is how it looked when I came back 3 weeks ago

IMG_7480-1.jpg

This is how it looks now with the new soil, I changed it yesterday.

IMG_7694.jpg

Edited by taozen

i would cut off the really dead bits and put it somewhere where it gets lots of ambient light, but shade from too much direct light (my cuttings are all started outside in full sun with shade from other kanna or a small plant growing next to it, so they are pretty tough usually). water as often as the soil gets dry on the top - never fails me. as long as there is lots of light (not direct) and highish temps, the soil doesnt need to dry completely between waterings.

Otherwise those two healthyish stems should strike if you cut them off and use them as cuttings

It was most definitely over-watered, there should never be any moss growing in with your desert succulents.

Another thing to mention, is that for all arid species like Sceletium, Ariocarpus, Lophopohora etc, you should have as little wood/peat in the mix as possible.

It is usually far better to use actual garden soil instead of potting mix, the reason this is that humus and peat are only partially decomposed in most mixes, this material needs time and moisture for it to break down to its constituent parts for it to be usable by the plant.

Usually the greatest contributor to this process is various soil microbes and the acids and enzymes that plants release into the soil via their roots, for this to happen the soil needs to be relatively moist for extended periods - something which doesn't often happen in desert conditions.

Desert plants rely largely on wind-blown soils and regolith for nutriment. They require that the nutrients be immediately available during the brief times that moisture is present because it is largely impossible for them to extract these nutrients during the dry periods, and very little can be actively dissolved and absorbed during the short wet periods.

Also, large bits of detritus absorb water and can promote the growth of potentially pathogenic soil fungi - if you do feel the great need to use potting mix, screen it first for any large chunks.

I don't know much about Kanna cultivation, so the following should be considered accordingly:

Seeing as the plant does not have much of a root system, I am not quite sure what to advise right now.. But without any food and water reserves (roots), keeping the soil dry will almost definitely kill it, but keeping the soil moist would likely promote more root rot if it has set in.

Probably the best thing you could do is perhaps keep the soil dry, and mist the plant in the early morning or late evening, just enough to get the top of the soil damp.

Thanks a lot man, that's some quality advice! I watered today, and will keep misting as you say, any ideas on sun exposure? They are currently getting direct sunlight from 8-9am till 12-1pm through a window. I still have another 5 which I intend to repot with new soil so Im definately using garden soil+sand now, great info!

I think more sun would be good - maybe move it outside. They are reasonably cold tolerant too, as long as you dont grt frost. Sandy soil will help keep the moisture level under control as it dries quicker and drains better. Also maybe some week seaweed solution would help save it.

I have lots of kanna growing and its not fussy at all, so id say it has to do with the light and the old soil it was in. Now its been repotted as long as you get rid of the dead bits so they dont rot it should recover.

If its cool where you live then they will like full sun - its tropical conditions here and even in direct sun it takes a few really hot days (30-35c) in full sun for them to even show signs of stress. I water my kanna (and cacti for that matter) as often as i water everything else, which is every second or third day.

Hope that helps

I would keep it in a bright location, but no direct sun and/or high temps for now, seeing as it is already obviously very stressed.

And in terms of sand, the domestic/commercial stuff is OK, but at the end of the day it is just rock fragments..

I only use cheap sand on cheap plants (like San Pedros etc). But, if you have some rare or special succulents, river sand is ultimate (as long as the river isn't polluted of course).

It also depends on the sand source in the river, but I would imagine most river sand would be much better than the stuff you buy.

There is a river near me that has large deposits of this coarse sand (~3mm average), it is a varied mix of sedimentary and volcanic sands plus lots of fine organic matter. It is full of all sorts of different minerals and nutrients, my cacti absolutely love it - plus it looks the part too.

Heres a pic of what I use:

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/uploads_gallery/1286901678/gallery_5307_350_70545.jpg

I sift exclusively for coarse sand to use at the top, as it dries quickly which is important when it is in contact with the cacti body, but deeper down it is more fine grained. BTW for reference, the cacti is about 15mm across.

My kanna do best in hanging pots in the upper reaches of my gh. There they get plenty of uv filtered sunlight & many times I tend to forget to water them. They're in well draining potting soil that's been amended with a copious amount of pumice.

I think what I've got is river sand, I bought at the garden store. I might do the coarse sand on top thing with my other plants, atleast if this one doesnt make it, ive thought about that, it def. looks great! Thanks for the advice! I'll keep posting news although im honestly not to optimistic. :(

Edited by taozen

should i take a cutting from the alive bits? how would one do that?

It was most definitely over-watered, there should never be any moss growing in with your desert succulents.

i totaly disagree, the moss can form there in a periode of a few wet weeks, and after that the plant was starved, otherwise it would be green, healthy and much, much, bigger. the moss is a sign foremost, that the potting mix is non friable, and was totaly unsuitable for this plant.

just the poor state, of the plant tells us, that it was under watered, and under nurtured.

just to spot some old moss doesn't mean it was kept always to wet, specialy if we know the climat is guatemala.

Edited by planthelper

planthelper got it, the soil was heavily compacted and had dust-like perlite in it, not even enough sand, why? ...I was just starting out with plants in general, they were watered only when they got fully dry. But they where all repoted just today! that one is considered lost but the rest have long healthy lives in front of them!

IMG_7766.jpg

IMG_7761.jpg

IMG_7778.jpg

IMG_7786.jpg

IMG_7779.jpg

IMG_7781.jpg

Unhealthy tiny Syryan Rue

IMG_7767.jpg

Edited by taozen

i think i spotted nematode attack on your first pic with the roots.

sceletium is sensible to this attack, and eventualy it can kill the plant.

so take always new cuttings, so you have plants with healthy roots.

nematodes cause those little noduls on the roots, nematodes can be discouraged, by using good, sterile friable potting mix, when starting off.

if small plants have already sceleton leaves, it's always a sign that she was not happy.

some of my sceletium plants look terrible aswell,

and the most common reason for this is,

you guessed it, nematode attack!

Nematodes?!?!?! WTF>!>! what now... mother fucking nematodes having a go at the roots!!! I did spot the noduls, and I think also on other roots, what a headache! Anyway to delete them from the face of the earth??? i mean from the roots its in? Maybe thats what got the other one! so how exactly do you take kanna cuttings, are my plants big enough for that? any guide out there? it sounds risky. Definately giving the soil a goood sterilization next time. Thanks man, you really are a great planthelper.