The Corroboree
bℓσωηG

PP5 containers for grain spawn?

Hi , does anyone use Poly-propylene 5 containers for grain spawn for edibles? I want to save some money buy using these instead of glass jars , a tyvek filter patch in the lid i read can be glued with hot glue gun , would hot glue melt in the pc? Also what size? The closest to 1000ml i can find is 850ml is that size okay? cheers

Im using Klip It Poly-propylene containers I have had one deformed a bit but its still good to use.

I use 1 liter and 700 ml

You need to be careful when drilling holes in the lids as they can crack. I put a piece of wood under the lid and use a sharp drill bit at high speed and not a lot of pressure.

For the filter I use 2 layers of tyvek held down with micro pore tape. The tape can be removed when cleaning the containers and the a new filter fitted for the next load of grain

Some Poly-propylene containers dont use the same plastic in the lids but I have seen a number of different brands that look good. I have only used one brand and have bought quite few so I havent tried any others

post-4489-128766896257_thumb.gifpost-4489-128766900024_thumb.gif

Cheers

Got

post-4489-128766896257_thumb.gif

post-4489-128766900024_thumb.gif

post-4489-128766896257_thumb.gif

post-4489-128766900024_thumb.gif

Edited by GoOnThen

GoOnThen, quick question, I see you are in Perth too, what do you use as your source of Tyvek? I think I know the material, but can't think where to get some.

I by tyvek overalls from an industial supply company called Atom supply but you should be able to by them from any of those sort of companies or maybe paint stores I have never checked at bunnings. One pair of overalls will last you a long time. I also use the sleeves for my glovebox and the just wear some latex gloves.

Cheers

Got

Edited by GoOnThen

polyfil in ur pillow, or tyvek at harware store, u can buy 200m rolls of it and many other tyvek products

polyfil in ur pillow, or tyvek at harware store, u can buy 200m rolls of it and many other tyvek products

Disposable overalls are made from tyvek :wink:

Hi , does anyone use Poly-propylene 5 containers for grain spawn for edibles? I want to save some money buy using these instead of glass jars , a tyvek filter patch in the lid i read can be glued with hot glue gun , would hot glue melt in the pc? Also what size? The closest to 1000ml i can find is 850ml is that size okay? cheers

I picked up some 'multix screwtop' containers today from the food wrap section of the supermarket, they have screw top lids and come in either 450ml or 750ml sizes - about $4 for a pack of 4.

They should work out ok and are pretty cheap all things considered.

It might be fine and a lot cheaper to use chinese take-away containers, but they don't seal very well.

Thanks guys, that shouldn't be too hard to find.

It might be fine and a lot cheaper to use chinese take-away containers, but they don't seal very well.

Well, they work! Grain spawn PC'd for 1 hour in a PP5 chinese take-away container, with polyfill filter and innoculation hole covered with electrical tape. Innoculated with Oyster mushroom liquid culture 18/10, fully colonised 14 days (cool temps to blame for slow colonisation).

post-1432-128905398587_thumb.jpg post-1432-12890538039_thumb.jpg

They don't seal completely, so I would wrap some tape (maybe micropore?) around the edge before PCing next time. I think I got lucky this time with no contams, there is mycelium creeping out through the edges where the lid doesn't seal.

post-1432-12890538039_thumb.jpg

post-1432-128905398587_thumb.jpg

post-1432-12890538039_thumb.jpg

post-1432-128905398587_thumb.jpg

Here is another item you can use that is polypropylene and is able to withstand a pressure cooker. Ball freezer jars and you can find them on many websites such as Amazon or here Pantry Supplies. It comes in 8oz, 16oz, and 32oz. They can be used for cakes or grains.

post-7660-128905695507_thumb.jpg

You can drill a hole into the lid and use high temp RTV silicone weld you find at your automotive parts supply store as injection points. As the silicone does not really stick well to the plastic, us a bit of micropore tape as a foundation. Then you can use polyfil in another hole for FAE.

Edited by MagikF

Cheers for the tips!!

I asked my GP if he had any of those Pharma "Branded" i.e.Pfizer pillow slips,I'm pretty sure they are made from Tyvek?

Anyhow got an unopened pack for nothing.

Are they made from Tyvek?