The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
devance

Gynostemma pentaphyllum= jiaogulan

Ok, thanks for the picture, I will post a pic later. Anyone else has jiaogulan pic to post here?

Here is a couple of pics of my plants which are flowering at the moment.

post-899-1164089673_thumb.jpg

post-899-1164089765_thumb.jpg

I harvest a small handful of fresh leaves daily. Enough to make one cup of tea a day. The plants are so fast growing which i like so you can harvest quite often.

Hmm lol that's probably a good idea, I've just been cutting it down stem and all...

its best not to cut the stems, just remove the older leaves as they grow and try and leave the stems intact and the new shoots intact.

Prophet, what a plant!, I'm interested in the shade cloth, do you use it all day long?

I'm curious, are they indoors/outdoors? The amount and period of light? Temperature ranges?

Heres my jiaogulan plants, they are planted on the ground, they receive 12 hours of direct sunlight, temps between 18 to 31 C. Grasshoppers love them!

post-831-1164109819_thumb.jpg

post-831-1164109949_thumb.jpg

Edited by -bijanto-

the plants are outdoors under the shade of some trees (probably 50 % shade) although they do get direct sunlight for some part of the day. The shade cloth area doesn't provide any significant shade, i only used the shade cloth to protect the plants from chickens and it only goes about 50cm heigh around the plants, it is kinda like a shade cloth fence :) Temperature ranges at the moment are about 15 C at night to about 30 C during the day. The plants seem quite tolerant of temperature and were doing very well here in winter where the temperature gets down to about 5 C at night. I also regularly gave them some Miracle Grow fertiliser when they were getting established which seems to give them a kick start in life :) You might wanna try giving yours a shot of some fertiliser and see what happens. I don't have any grasshopper problems with my plants but slugs and snails are a problem sometimes.

happy growing