The Corroboree
shoes

naming cactus varieties

Hello everyone, please pardon the ignorance of the question I'm sorta new to cactus, I've learned a bit so far but am curious as to the naming of cacti, until recently I had no idea what Bruce, Eileen etc were, now I'm wondering, I have a few cuts from established plants I.e the mother would be 15/20 years old do my cuts have to grow up and show different growth characteristics or do I simply post pics and ask some of you for your opinions in regards to correct ID? Also what's the preferred pic size for the forums? Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere,

Shoes

pics!!! :drool2:

Shoes justy post pics and you will be told what it is or at least what it isn't. Then post a tip cut to me,lol.

Lol will c what I can do in future, also will work on posting pics of tips and mother plants soon,I.get them for free but the old w0man that owns them loves them as much as I do

haha dworx, and yeah shoes just post pics here http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22620&st=0&p=234437entry234437

dunno about minnimum size.

and dworx thanks again for my TBM pup, it has some nice roots coming along and the black spots healed :lol:

No probs Ethen, should pup through summer, if rooted already.

Cheers mate the problem is my "smartphone" from which I manage my account won't let me upload images :( and I don't have the net at home anymore, though I am considering getting a connection just for SAB haha cos I love reading these forums, I have one pic of 2 cacti I posted to a newish member (ilovecacti) and he has posted the images in his garden photos down the very bottom of his post

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25411

If anyone can I'd them from that photo id be happy but ill post some close up images of all my cacti Soonish, cheers to u all and have a good day

Cheers blowng, most of mine are pachnoid though I had a 4 4ribbed pup that rotted, it my have been a scop but I don't know and like to think it was a pach,got a few seedlings from another member as well as some bridgsii, also just going over again, with the clone should they be named even if I didn't breed it? To keep track? I've sent a couple out to ppl is all,ill just tell em its a pach, thanks again :)

you might think naming cacti does good, but it can well create confusion, as it does.

Unless you gain more experience, don't overindulge in naming cacti clones, unless it's for you own personal relationship with the plants.

If -knowledgeable- people around tell you your clone is some special clone, then you can start thinking about giving it a special name.