The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mushroomman

would you class this loph as varigated

i grafted this loph koehresii a couple months ago and it seems to be varigated or something , whats everyone think?

id015.jpg

id016.jpg

Hard to say since the graft in the background also looks unusually bright. If the colour on the top of the koehresii is yellow IRL, and was yellow before you grafted it, then chances are it is variegated. But it is still young, and time will tell. Fingers crossed eh, variegated lophs are beautiful!

Hi mushroom man,

it certainly looks like there is something going on. I have a grafted loph which looks similar but I have always thought it was just sick It has grown pretty well and doesn't show any other signs of being unwell - maybe its variegated too? I will try and get a pic of it for you to compare.

actually now I think about it - mine has the same overall pale look too which is unlike other variegation I have seen - they normally display bands of variegation as far as I know.

Hi mushroom man,

it certainly looks like there is something going on. I have a grafted loph which looks similar but I have always thought it was just sick It has grown pretty well and doesn't show any other signs of being unwell - maybe its variegated too? I will try and get a pic of it for you to compare.

hi WT ,

id love to see some pics to compare , this one is growing faster than my other koehresii i grafted at the same time and its colour is heaps different i'll post a pic of it tomorrow . I was thinking it was the amount of light it was getting or something at first but i ruled that out because the two are grown side buy side on my window-sill.

mushroomman, you probably already know that grafted cacti can take on strange forms/colours without it being variegated. I had some grated lophs which turned bright green after being grafted which eventually settled down. Also, I think variegated cacti can be slower growing (I could be wrong, I'm just judging from a variegated loph I have). I agree with WT that variegation is usually displayed in bands. Here's a pic of a variegated diffusa I have, for comparison.

med_gallery_1469_3_18711.jpg

mushroomman, you probably already know that grafted cacti can take on strange forms/colours without it being variegated. I had some grated lophs which turned bright green after being grafted which eventually settled down. Also, I think variegated cacti can be slower growing (I could be wrong, I'm just judging from a variegated loph I have). I agree with WT that variegation is usually displayed in bands. Here's a pic of a variegated diffusa I have, for comparison.

med_gallery_1469_3_18711.jpg

yeah ,iv had them do the same thing just never like this one .i'll just have to wait and see what it does, fingers crossed.

you're varigated diffusa is beautiful ,once i get my greenhouse built this year im going to buy a couple thousand loph seeds and hopefully i'll get a few varigated ones.