Korky

"alcohol costs us 36 billion a year"

"70% of police dealings involve alcohol"

"10million are negatively affected by someone else's drinking"

(clip to right of screen)

abc news

• Like 1

a culture to be proud of! :rolleyes:

what frustrates me are all the know it all media presenters on the idiot box, scratching their head in disbelief saying, oh, do you think it's time to think about the way we look at alcohol?? whilst all their previous chatter throughout the years has been making snide remarks about any illegal substance and how fucked up and addicted any user of them are, and how we must be fearful of these people and substances for our children, but gloat that alcohol is this great social tool and it's just not australia without a bbq and a beer, fucking dickheads. Then when some external person from shows gets interviewed and finally brings up a rational argument about the reality of illegal substances, and their safety compared to legal substances, they make some smart arse joke and ignore the rational issue raised and move on :BANGHEAD2:

• Like 1

phew.. I could say heaps here but I just can't think how to word it... the researcher guy really drilled home the point about alcohol being so widely available and accepted. Heavy drinking in Australia is seen as normal drinking - if you can't handle your piss you are a wuss etc - I guess this new story speaks largely to white australia and doesn't necessarily comment on how alcohol affects ethnic minorities. I have the feeling that blow for blow or beer for beer the first fleet descendants might be the ones to be pointing the finger at... but I could be wrong.

I'm wondering just who 'us' is in the title of the story - I would have to watch it again.. but if it's costing 36 BILLION DOLLARS (!!!!) to police, hospitalise, rehabilitate, help families etc etc then I'm guessing that is 36 big ones that the govo' is watching going into the system and spinning around... by that I am intimating that perhaps on a very cool and cold level the government doesn't actually give a fuck because it's providing alot of jobs and income. therefore, I wonder if alcohol has been sooooo allowed and fostered because of this? But I don't wanna drift down conspiracy theory memory lane.

interesting report... nothing that new though. We all know this is going on. I think we may all be living in mass denial of the truth.

lol

peace

lol, we have loved a drink from the get go although i assume the amount was due to there being really not much else safe to drink other than rum and wine. The first settlers of australia consumed more alc than any other civilisation known in history apparently.

Alcohol cost me my saturday - vomiting instead of mowing the lawn and in the dog house for most of the day :( I got home and put music on very loudly at 2am and the neighbour came over and said I was dancing around in shorts in the living room (complete lack of memory).

I blame the second bottle of wine - it was a nice dinner but the night blurred after that one...