The Corroboree
Ilovecacti

What am I doing wrong?

While we're on the topic of germinating - is it a major problem if my seed are planted around 0.5cm under the soil?

Cheers

While we're on the topic of germinating - is it a major problem if my seed are planted around 0.5cm under the soil?

Best if just sprinkled on teh surface and very lightly pressed or spray watered in, the roots find their own way down ... covering them just makes it harder for them.

yeah i agree with blowng, i now have about 8/20 pachanoi's germinated so far which were sprinkled on the top of the soil and then watered in, one sunk a bit too far in and i gave it some help breaking the surface

After what looked to be another complete failure I looked into the dome yesterday and was very surprised to see this little guy

DSCN0861.jpg

It's a Trich. Bridgesii

Seeing as this is the only cactus seed I've been successful in sprouting myself so far it's going to be cared for like a child, I'm still at a loss as to why no others have germinated though, maybe after the suggestions from the thread I went to the other extreme and didn't provide enough moisture this time...

Looks like there is still plenty of moisture. Do you know if your heat-mat temperature gauge is accurate? I've only used heat mats with a set temperature, and they have fried seeds (or so I assume from low germ rates/high death rates early on) if I don't put a thick layer of insulation between the mat and the seed tray. I've had best results with bottom heat when the mat doesn't feel warm to the touch and causes only very light, misty-looking, condensation.

I only just watered it before I took the picture trust me there's nowhere near the amount of moisture there was before, the dome barely fogs up at all now

cool, way to go ! :)