The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Dirty Old Man

Shellite purity question

Hi All,

Just wondering what experiences people have with evaluating the purity of shellite through evapourating and checking for purity.

I recently evapourated approx. 200ml in a stainless steel dish. There was no visible residue however a faint petrochemical smell did remain.

Am I correct in assuming this is safe enough to use in the nonpolar phase of AB extraction?

Thanks in advance,

Dom

If you leave the dish sitting around in a warm spot for a day or two the smell usually disappears.

steel is really not appropriate. use glass.

Rub your finger over the spot where the shellite was. Is there an oily residue?

If so, do NOT use the product.

However, this may be an artifact drawn from the steel plate and not present in the solvent.

Try again using glass.

Evaporated solvents should leave NO residue or powder to be safely used.

Any residue or powder is a contaminant that will end up (most likely) in your final product.

You do not want that.

yeah this wasnt mentioned but metal isnt inert.. it reacts with alot of substances

thats why glass is best

same with plastic... most solvents distroy it completely

Thanks for the reply guys.

Makes sense.

Most grades of stainless are far from stainless.

I guess the fact that the surface of metals is covered with scratches and pitting on a microscopic level would probably inhibit the evapouration of some hydrocarbons.

Will try on a pyrex dish. Am pretty confident it should evapourate clean, after all shellite is a distillate, right?

that doesnt mean it cant contain other additives :)

but alot of other people use shellite

not that that means its ok...

but i think its presumed it is

can you use beutane instead?

(im not a good chemistry wizz and cant help u with these)

beutane definately evaporates and very fast and is also a good solvent

Butane would be good as it is readily available in a pure form.

There is however the small problem of it being a gas at room temp. at normal atmospheric pressure.

It also has a tendency to go boom :D

Guest electro

isnt butane ALOT more nonpolar than shellite ? - if i amn right it doesnt make it a bad thing, though it would be no good for spice extractions as i believe that its base is quite polar for a non polar soluble base.

dom: yes its a gas but what u do is get a container full of said herb with 1 hole in the top and a mesh/small holes at bottom buy a big can of it and empty the whole thing into it... it stays liquid for a while due to pressure and temprature that it comes out of the can.

and yeah do this OUTSIDE away from any flames or sparks etc

Cool Smogs,

You've got me a bit confused though :confused:

Can you please explain the method you outlined in a bit more detail or point me to an online resource.

theres probably one on www.erowid.org. I havn't tryed it myself and i believe its mainly used to extract honey oil from MJ.

i dont know how much i can add to what i said

but the tek i saw used pvc piping to make the container with the endcaps and alot of holes drilled in bottom for ooze to run out of. the top was a hole JUST too small for the refil nozzle thingy and then counter sunk (was larger part of the way down) so you could just jam beutane can in there and it would come out by itself.

if you do a search for hash oil or honey oil with beutane you should get a few results.