ID please =]

Thought id post some pictures of some of my small collection of small cacti

some i know the id others i don't

gallery_6534_332_95291.jpg

gallery_6534_332_76492.jpg

Im pretty sure this is a scop, or a hybrid of similar species maybe

gallery_6534_332_68617.jpg

gallery_6534_332_41327.jpg

Not sure what this one is - looks pretty interesting though. anyone know?

gallery_6534_332_61577.jpg

gallery_6534_332_229165.jpg

I'v been told these are scops, they grow really fast - they were the size of the first picture when i got them a few months ago

gallery_6534_332_200770.jpg

This is the pot most of my smaller trichocereus are living in for a while. The empty space in the middle is for an eileen pup someone sent me that im trying to get to grow roots at the moment. the tiny cutting on the right is a bridgesii tip a friend gave me - i like it because unlike the others (which have thickish spikes in clusters), this one has tiny hypodermics poking out of it and they are singular instead of clusters. there is an icaro 'peruvian' from the webstore here and a and a psycho0xsuper pedro hidden behind the scop (the super pedro x has already put out 2 new sets of spines since i got it like 2 weeks ago - also from SAB)

the succulent you can see in a lot of these pictures is Kanna - its really great stuff and really easy to grow from cuttings. a lot of mine flowered within a month of putting it in the ground

gallery_6534_332_100976.jpg

Not really babies, but these are some 4 year old seed grown bridgesii a member here sent me

gallery_6534_332_107713.jpg

gallery_6534_332_81980.jpg

gallery_6534_332_29414.jpg

Not too sure what these are - id?

gallery_6534_332_67998.jpg

Last but not least - The Chode :P this fella is growing surprisingly fast too

This is most of my collection so far, but im slowly building it up. i have some seeds that have started as well. more to come in the not too distant future

All the pictures were taken on my iphone, and turned out surprisingly good - let me know what you all think =]

ps can someone please tell me how to make my pictures thumbnails?

Edited by poisonshroom

i think the second one in the first post is a possible cereus. just a guess.

check www.columnar-cacti.org it should probably be on there.

i'd be intrigued as to what it is as i have small one in my collection

Thanks for the link =]

i dont think its a cereus - the ribs are too fat and not deep enough (imo). Im a noob though lol

looks like a pilocereus sp

Yea, it does. thanks

How about the others? anyone know what they might be?

takin a stab at things, first post, 3rd & 4th pic looks like a pilocereus azureus.

Second post first pic looks just like a T candicans I have, 3rd pic looks just like a gymnocalycium I have.

Nice =] thanks

i think you are right about all of them. i wonder what species of gymnocalycium i have... there are quite a few, and most of the ones i looked at looked vaguely like it, but the spines were huge compared to what i have (which is kinda like little bristles). The one in the second picture almost looks more like the ones i saw (i only did a quick search though).

all the non-ticho ones (plus T Candicans) are in a new pot all together now, with some bigish rocks and river pebbles on top - it looks awesome (if do say so myself :P ) and they have heaps of space to grow bigger

agree.

second post, 2nd photo can also bee other things apart from gymno, like comb spined notocacti f.e.

3rd, maybe a chameocereus sp.

Good collection!

3rd pic in second post looks to be parodia, i tend to agree wit mutant on the "gymno" one too but i got no idea at this time of day, just dont look heaps gymno to me.

EDIT - actually, tha "gymno" does look a lil gymno to me at second glance, they do hybridise easily IME as for id, i got no freakn idea lol.

Edited by PD.

Thanks for the replies everyone - its getting there. When my tax comes back ill be expanding the collection, so ill be sure to post more pictures. I also have some seeds starting at the moment which should start popping up soon. A couple of bridgesii seeds that i got from Dr Uarewhatueat (from england - itll be interesting to see how they turn out later) on the shroomery have started to grow already though.

Also im planning on attempting some grafting for the first time when my loph seeds sprout and grow up a bit. Would one of those scops be good to practice on? And how long should i wait to graft?

it is really worth it to play with pereskiopsis as stock if you wanna do lophos and/or experiment with grafting. lopho & pere like each other.

Fair enough. Iv heard that - i just wanted to practice on something i already have. Ill keep an eye out for some pereskiopsis though (iv been meaning to get some anyway). Im also waiting for a selinecereus to get here - i hear that works quite well too. Anyone know about that?

Another question (sorry i just dont really want to start another thread)... If i was to get a 25ish cm chunk of cacti (probably a peruvian) and lay it on its side would it be more productive then standing it upright? I know doing it that way often causes several pups to come up, but would a peice that size be alright?

I understand experimenting with waht you already have, but wouldn't you like to kave some test runs since from what I understand you have no grafting attempt yet? Trichocerei are good for grafting, but they're best with bigger scions, aiming for permanent grafts. Once a single lopho on pereskiopsis graft takes, though, you will soon have enough biggish pups to graft on your trichoecerei stock.

I am one of the advocates of selinicereus for grafting. It fucking rules IME and I prefer it to perskiopsis. But both selini and pere, as well as hylocereus will soon have you with enough graft stock to experiment, as they grow and pup like mad. Some trichocerei pup a lot too, but not always, and anyways, it's not as fast to creat grafting stock with them

As far as the horizontal rooting is concerened, I only tried it once with a chunk of some fatty scop/pachanoi hybrid. Only one pup showed up, on which I grafted something. Hasn't pupped again and I got it some 10 months now. But it's also luck sometimes.

I prefer to root them normally. A horizontal rooting would gonna be a grafting playground long term though, you would graft on each new branch tip that showed up vertically, practical and neat to the eye as I imagine it.

Edited by mutant

yea, i thought that would be the case. my seeds havnt even germinated yet, so i have plenty of time to get some peres cuttings and get them going. i have tons of hylocereus around the place too, so that would be good to try too.

i think if i did the horizontal thing it wouldnt necessarily be for grafting purposes - i just like the look of cacti with lots of branches. although a graft-tree would look pretty cool :)

hey poison mushroom - there are two threads going at the moment giving away free peres if you need any:

1. http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25136

2. http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25241

don't want to be a bummer or anything, but it might be worth reading the first post in this thread too, http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17519

nice collection you got going there though mate. Good to see some happy cacti.

peace

thanks for the links kindness =] i did send flora a pm about his giveaway (i already got the two bridgesii's in the last picture off him), but as i understand he is having computer troubles atm so we wil just see what happens with that

oh and did i say "i" was growing the loph's? what i meant was my friend (dont know her name) is - she keeps asking me to ask advice for her :innocent_n: i just have the grafting stock she may wish to experiment with

:P well best of luck to her growing them, they are really beautiful plants to live with and watch grow. I dunno how long they live but judging by the size of some I've seen pictures of and how slowly they grow I would imagine that they exist for around as long as a human life. How cool is that...

peace

i know - thats what fascinates me about cacti in general

im going to try grafting out for the first time soon (just as an experiment) with a bridgesii seedling on a hylocereus - there is a massive one in my front yard with some branches on the ground that have roots and pups that im going to pot up and use. ill post pics once it gets going =]

ps. old cacti are the most wise too - imagine *thinking* about that when you are old and grey and so are they ;)

Edited by poisonshroom

IME experience Trichocerei will pup enough given time, especially certain clones and definately bridgesii's. They pup from the base mostly

a mature bridgesii on hylo is a funny idea :)

Hylo would be cool to experiment, it's not the easiest stock IMO but it's a good stock once the graft takes...

I wish you success and fun in your experiments!