The Corroboree
Slybacon

Kangaroos being poisoned by fluoride

Kangaroos being poisoned by fluoride

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 by: David Gutierrez

http://www.naturalnews.com/029094_kangaroos_fluoride.html

Hundreds of kangaroos have been euthanized due to acute fluoride poisoning in the Australian state of Victoria, the country's Environment Protection Authority (EPA) has announced.

The poisonings appear to be occurring due to emissions of fluoride from the Alcoa aluminum smelter at Portland and the Austral Bricks factory at Craigieburn, the state's first and second biggest emitters of fluoride dust, respectively. According to Bruce Dawson of the EPA, the toxic chemical is being absorbed by nearby plants that kangaroos and other animals forage on. The animals may also be breathing in the chemical directly.

The levels of fluoride being emitted by Alcoa and Austral are fully legal under Australian law. The smelter emits 120 tons of the dust per year, while the factory emits 66 tons.

Fluoride can produce discoloration and deformity of teeth and bones, a problem known as "fluorosis" that has been well documented in cattle and humans. According to the Sunday Age, more than 200 kangaroos in Victoria have been euthanized after suffering from lameness caused by fluorosis.

The EPA was first alerted to the problem in 2005, although wildlife workers had noticed lameness in kangaroos in the area as early as 2001. According to Jenny Charles of Melbourne University, 90 percent of 130 kangaroos living near the Alcoa smelter showed signs of dental fluorosis, and 25 percent had visible lumps in their legs or arms.

Forty-eight of 49 kangaroos autopsied after being culled from the smelter area in a single day were suffering from excessive bone growth and lesions on their ankles, calves and paws.

''They were in real pain,'' said wildlife shelter operator Manfred Zabinskas, recounting his horror at seeing so many sick kangaroos.

Although the kangaroos at the brick factory site had lower levels of fluoride in their bodies, their fluorosis symptoms were even worse than those seen near the smelter.

Interesting topic...

I have worked in vineyards for over 10 years and frequentlly come across disorientated kangaroos that are so docile you can walk up to within a metre or 2 of them. They look confused and all have something in common, there eyes are all cloudy. It looks like a skin growing over there eyes sometimes.

What do you think could be causing this?

alot of the neibouring properties use copper/sulphur sprays which i thought could be something to do with it.

The Wallal virus seems to be responsible for a lot of kangaroo blindness afaik, though the environment is a toxic waste dump so anything is a possibility really.

this makes me shudder

our government should not assume it has the right to order a permitable amount of dust emisions ?!?!?! i wonder if or when the democracy was ever consulted about this ?

this is not sustainable and theres no respect for the land or its inhabitants it makes me wonder how this "government" is even here ?!?!?

just take over land plunder and destroy resources and leave everything for dead is that the plan ??? not even a thought of care for other indiginous living beings or your own childrens childrens future??

this makes me shudder

our government should not assume it has the right to order a permitable amount of dust emisions ?!?!?! i wonder if or when the democracy was ever consulted about this ?

this is not sustainable and theres no respect for the land or its inhabitants it makes me wonder how this "government" is even here ?!?!?

just take over land plunder and destroy resources and leave everything for dead is that the plan ??? not even a thought of care for other indiginous living beings or your own childrens childrens future??

That's our democracy, vote them in and they do what they like 'cause we elected them, that's the consultancy. The permitted amount of emissions and examples like that in society IMO are the result of a closed minded scientific belief, until shit hits the fan and we can prove it with science, we can create 'acceptable' levels and make ourselves feel good that we are doing the right thing. Even when we find out what we are doing is wrong, we are stuck in the situation 'cause we've created (and probably deliberately) no alternate paths and plan b, c, d etc.

I know many people working at one of those plants, and guess what, strict liberal voters lol we are white australia. :blush: Most of them don't understand the environment outside of their world of construction and typical white mentality, i don't fully blame them, they are products of their upbringing but they still vote and influence where we go in society, making the same mistakes over and over.

Edited by gerbil

conspiracy theory spreads via news hahaha... shit

so here is another crackpot spewing her crazy unfounded ideas on all us sharp thinkers.

• Like 1

"a mistake?"

"yes of course"

Or

"I can't believe the governments ignorance on the issue"

...they failed to mention that it dulls the mind and makes for good sheep, which would explain the mistake and the ignorance of the government... but that might feed the idea that our governments are controlled by evil self serving interests that want to fuck us every day of our lives... which isn't the case, it was an honest mistake... honest.

These shows insinuate fault and greedy intentions onto dole bludgers and the like yet they won't just be upfront and say that fluoride is used as a mind numbing agent to limit the dissent of the masses who generally dislike enslavement. That it's effectiveness as such was found out by the Nazis and Communists in their prison camps.

That would be possibly too much conspiracy talk for them I suppose. Don't give too much information, just enough to promote fear and outrage against the government cemented with the fact that the government ignores petitions to remind you that it's hopeless - but stay angry!

They can't cast too much light on the governments shady operations as that would disillusion the sheep in trusting their shepherd at all... you can hate your masters, to them it's like tough love so we get back into line, they might even prefer you hate them as long as you remain dependent on them. That way our energy goes into that and their control remains in tact. What? Are we gonna ask even louder next time? Maybe even pray? Yeah that's right, get down on your knees and beg! and I might give you a treat!

The option to jump the fence is always there.

Hate binds us to that which we hate; their very existence may even depend on that. They need us to need them as a scapegoat so they do crappy things to us to keep this cycle going. We somehow keep thinking we need them.

also nobody takes ACA seriously. So it's the safest place to broadcast such things... you would never see this story in the news.

Edited by The Dude
  • Like 2